Chapter 27 - Girlfriend

"The two of you are dating!"  Louis exclaimed the instant we had all packed into the van after the red carpet event.  "How lovely.  Allie, you've got your hands full now, love."

Though I opened my mouth to speak, my words caught in my throat.  I was like this the entire night, unable to comprehend the words Harry told the interviewer:  Allie is my girlfriend.

"Why did ya never tell me?"  I peered over to Niall at my right as shards of lights flickered across his face.  Though these instances occurred for only seconds at a time, I could clearly see the astonishment and hurt inflicted in his eyes.

At last, I was able to speak seeing that Niall was so devastated.  "Because we're not dating."

"What do you mean?"  Liam asked, leaning over in his seat behind me.

"Harry told them we were dating and I don't know why."  I glanced toward Harry who was to my left. He was gazing out the window before he turned to us.

"I had to tell them something."

"What are ya talking about?  If ya aren't really dating, ya didn't have ta tell them anything!"  Niall argued.  I could feel his exasperated breath against my skin.

"I agree with Niall, Harry.  Why did you tell them that?"

Harry placed his chin on his fisted hand and averted his eyes to the window again.  "We'll talk about it later."

"No, Harry, ya can explain right now,"  demanded Niall.  I put my hand to his arm in attempt to calm him.

"Niall, why do you even care?  This has absolutely nothing to do with you--"

"Shut up, Harry!  What ya said back there affects the entire band!  Ya can't just go around saying things like that!  You--"

"Alright, alright!  Quiet, boys!  I'm taking a very important phone call!"  Paul scolded from the front seat.

Niall snorted an exhale.  All I could do was grip his arm tighter but he jerked out of my grasp.  Feeling my heart twist into an agonizing knot, I inched away from Niall, incapable of forgiving myself for the frustration I've caused everyone.  

If I had never come with Harry, I wouldn't be triggering all these complications.  I just wanted to cry.  I just wanted purge my heart of these unbearable emotions weighing heavily upon my heart.  The only sense of relief I received was when Zayn reached from the seat behind to rub my shoulder soothingly.  At least someone was there to sympathize with my feelings though I did not at all deserve it.

The rest of the ride was silent.  I believed we all sensed agitation copiously saturating the atmosphere.  When we arrived at the hotel, Niall was the first to swing the door open and exit the van.  He did this so quickly, it was as if he had vanished in a flash.  

Harry was about to leave, but I hooked his arm in mine.  "Don't go."

Liam and Zayn climbed over the seats wordlessly.  When they were out the door, Liam glanced back at me expectantly but soon realized that I preferred he leave Harry and I in the van.  Alone.  He nodded briefly then closed the door.

I was about speak but remembered that Paul was still in the van.  He hung up his phone then turned to us.  "I don't know what's going on, but  do you mind doing this somewhere else?  I need to park this thing."

"Yeah,"  I replied.  Harry had already started sliding open the door.

We jumped out of the car where we were greeted with an icy gust of wind.  When Harry saw that I was rubbing my arms, he removed is jacket and offered it to me.

"Don't.  Just don't."  I swerved around him and began walking hastily toward the hotel entrance.

"Allie.  Please don't be mad.  I'm very sorry if I hurt you."

"Harry, I'm just -- I'm just really confused.  If you wanted me to be your girlfriend, why didn't you just ask me?"

When I reached the awning of the hotel, I turned around to find that Harry had been directly behind me.  His eyes held a certain worry as he looked hesitantly at me.  "If I had . . . would you have said yes?"

I frowned, considering an answer that I myself did not know the answer to.  If I still remained in my state of constant distress before Harry stepped into my life, then I would have said yes, but due to the heartache he's caused me in the past couple weeks, my decision remained unknown, torn.

"I knew that you wouldn't have,"  Harry breathed disappointed when my silence had given him an answer.  "I thought that if -- if the guys thought we were dating, then -- then maybe they'd stop shunning me."

"But isn't this purpose defeated now if they already know it's not real?"

He bit the inside of his lip, staring unblinkingly at me for several moments before responding.  "It doesn't have to be,"  he murmured softly.

"What doesn't?"

"I could tell them it was my plan to ask you to be my girlfriend.  They'd expect something like that from me."

"So you want me to lie to them."

"Well, when you put it like that . . .."

"Harry, I don't understand what the point of this is."  I spun around and began on my way to the door.

"Please."  I shivered when his warm hand grazed across my skin.  He stepped in front of me to block my path and gazed me in the eyes.  "You have no idea what this would mean to me.  You're the first person in a long time who's really cared about me, and if you don't pretend to -- to . . ."  He turned away for a moment, fingering nervously through his hair.  "Then the boys will know I'm hopeless if I could never date someone like you, and they'll never talk to me again."

His green eyes stared through my soul so earnestly that I felt my heart turning into a puddle of mush. How could I say no, knowing that his reputation -- and also One Direction's -- depended on my answer?

Please,"  he pleaded, taking his hands to my waist.

"I can't say no," I sighed.  I dropped my head to his shoulder and he drew me closer and kissed my forehead.

"Thank you."

"Yeah,"  I mumbled insecurely.

Though I sincerely wanted to help Harry, something was telling me that this was not at all a good idea.

hey!  so why do you think Niall's so upset?

Fan/comment/vote? (;

thank you for readinggg (: