Chapter 12 - Mr. Fishy

Thursday, June 7 

"He's not in love with me," I urged Maryanne as I drove her home in Darcy.  A searing heat radiated my skin as a cool breeze tugged at my hair.  "If he was, he wouldn't have just completely dumped me for Kara."  I shivered at the mention of her name alone.

"Well then he's just dumb.  Like, he seriously needs to just get out."

"I mean, I never thought he liked me in the first place, but it just really hurt that he led me on."  And although I never mentioned it to Maryanne, I cried more in the past three days than I'd ever cried in my life -- actually, I take that back.  I cried more when Mom died, but I feel as if these three days came pretty darn close.

"I know, he's an idiot.  So dumb . . .."  I could tell that Maryanne was fuming, especially after she had tried so hard to convince me that Harry was in love with me.

"Sometimes . . . sometimes I think about not going to the concert . . .."

"What?" she screeched as I pulled up into her winding driveway.  "But if you don't go then I can't go!"

"You can still go without me!"  I protested.

"No," she whined.  "I need emotional support for when I meet Zayn, since, you've already met him.  And Harry."

"So basically, you want me to come so you don't make a fool out of yourself."

"Yes!" she cried.  "I can't do it without you.  Please?  Just forget about Harry and meet the other boys."

I bit my lip, considering this, as I shifted Darcy into park.

"You don't even have to talk to him.  Just ignore him.  He's dumb."

Staring up to Maryanne's house glimmering in the sun, I turned to her.  "You know, you're right.  You're absolutely right.  Go for Niall and Liam and Lou."

"And Zayn!"  She beamed.

"Yes!  And Zayn."

"Screw Harry," Maryanne sneered with a nonchalant wave of her hand.  She stepped out of the car and I did as well.

"I still need to be nice, though."  I walked around the front of car, rejoining Maryanne.  "To Harry."

"Yeah."  Her features softened.  "He hurt you so you don't have to trust him, or, like, be friends with him, you know what I mean?"

"Yeah."

"But yeah, you should be nice."

We stood in silence for several more moments before I unfolded my arms.  "I guess this is goodbye."

Maryanne returned the hug, appearing somewhat surprised that I of all people had initiated an embrace.  "Goodbye!  We'll hang out this summer."

"Oh . . .." I mumbled, instantly remembering Manhattan.  We pulled away from our hug and I frowned, gritting my teeth nervously.  "I never told you."

"Huh?"

"Yeah, well, I'm -- I'm sorta moving this summer."

Her eyes bulged.

"Yeah.  Uh -- three weeks."

"And you never told me?" she exclaimed, switching into our science teacher's Indian accent.  "Vhy you no tell me?  Cut it!  We don't do that here!  Allie!  You can't go around not telling me dese tings!  I thought I vas your friend!  Allie!"

I was chuckling so uncontrollably at the moment that my breathing became dangerously scarce.  "I -- I'm sorry!"  I cried through teary eyes.  "If a certain curly-haired British boy didn't choose to spontaneously visit me then I wouldn't have forgotten!"