Chapter 29 - The Bradfords

I stood before the mirror adjusting my newly dyed locks. I was quite startled to see that the boys had done a good job. I didn't see any unevenly distributed colors anywhere, and they managed to cloak any traits of the gold I previously had.

I pushed open the door to leave. It was about twenty minutes before the concert was to begin, and management was scurrying back and forth through the corridors in search of the boys who were obviously up to mischief. Though I had not yet seen them since I had been in the building, I had already heard their voices echo through the walls. I could just picture them now, running around and shooting people with Nerf guns.

Just as I opened the door, a dark, obscure object zoomed by me. I flashed my head to the right to see that there was a bat hovering above my head. A rush of pure fear building like a volcano in my stomach, I squealed and darted away, frantically waving my arms above my head. Glancing up, I saw Zayn peeking around a corner with a silly string bottle in hand, probably anticipating his upcoming victim.

"Zayn!" I wailed, stumbling toward him.

Zayn turned to me and his mouth fell open.

I gasped breathlessly and latched onto his arms. "Zayn! There's a bat!"

"A bat?"

"Yes!"

"Are you sure?"

"It was black and it had wings, it was a bat." I steadied myself again and scratched my head as I looked up to meet his eyes that displayed obvious confusion.

But then, his eyes shimmered and he grinned. "I like your hair, by the way."

"Thank you but -- the bat!"

"I'm not sure what you want me to do for you, love."

"Uh--kill it?"

He let out a breathy chuckle and shook his head in amusement.

Just then, Harry popped out from around the corner. "Ah-hah!" He cried, pointing his silly string bottle directly at Zayn. He was about to fire but his arms went limp when he zoned past Zayn to me, eyes widened. "You're hair looks amazing."

I blushed and smiled shyly, pushing my hair behind my shoulder. "You think so?"

"Yeah!" he exclaimed. He pushed past Zayn and scooped me into his arms. "I absolutely love it. I couldn't have picked a better color for you."

"Aww!" I gushed.

"Vas happenin'?" Zayn threw his hands into the air, a bewildered expression zapping his face. "I said the same thing and all she says is 'kill the bat!'"

"What bat?" Harry glanced toward Zayn, but he still held me in my arms.

"I saw a bat down the hall, and now Zayn won't kill it."

"Zayn!"

"What? I'm not just going to just kill a bat. That's just--"

"Someone has to do it," Harry teased.

"She's your girlfriend, why don't you kill it--"

"You have a girlfriend--"

"Excuse me, Ms. Watson?" Paul appeared from around the corner.

I eased out of Harry's gasp and looked to Paul who wore a solemn mien.

"There's someone here to see you."

"Who?" I had a bad feeling about this.

Turning the corner came the man who causes me to cower away and nestle into the protection of someone -- anyone who'd be willing to save me. The man who pushed me away though I offered my deepest commiserations for our loss. The man who is now the prime reason for my greatest fears. Even now as he stood before me with an exuberant smile smothered across him face, a wave of chills tickled my skin.