24

Alex

When I was five years old, my parents came home one day with another baby in tow. I was too young to process the pregnancy thing so I was just basically oblivious to whatever was happening, going with the flow of everything.

When I saw my baby brother for the first time, as what my parents had instilled in me, I swore to keep him safe and to love him forever. I mean, there were times when I got jealous because I felt like my parents loved him too much, hoarding up all their attention. I used to ask myself how they can offer so much love for something so little that can't even really do much.

But as I got older, I just sort of naturally hopped on the bandwagon. The feel to keep him safe at all times, to teach him ways, to make sure he's well. It just came to me inherently because he was my brother and it was all part of the natural order.

It wasn't until now that I'd truly felt that natural affection towards someone. I mean I felt it towards Perrie almost instinctively but it's just different when it came to my unborn child.

The love I felt towards this baby whom I haven't even seen yet is massively unimaginable. It's barely a size of an olive but I already love it with all my heart. I may not see it yet, or feel it or touch it, but the mere fact of knowing about it, already has it imprinting on my heart.

I scoot closer towards Perrie's sleeping form, propping my chin on top of the back of my hands as I lay horizontally across the bed on my stomach. Her shirt rides up, exposing her stomach. I stare at it as it heaves up and down, mimicking the motion of her chest as she breathes.

Her stomach was still flat as ever, her abs still clearly visible. It wasn't obvious at all that she was pregnant. I try angle my head, trying to find a baby bump somewhere between her curves. I grin as I gently poke her stomach, careful not to press too hard. I just can't believe that I have my child in there, growing inside the love of my life. I already love it so much and I can't wait to see him or her soon. I just know he or she is going to be perfect.

"What are you doing?" Perrie's groggy voice halts my actions. I look up and see her grinning at me, her eyes still half open as she examines what I'm doing. "Oh nothing. Just trying to find a bump." I say, almost embarrassed of what I got caught doing. "I'm sorry for waking you up." I say, getting on my knees and making my way to lean down and kiss her.

"It's alright." She says, smiling at me after I pulled back. "Just got really shocked to see my husband poking my belly." She laughs out. I smile and kiss her forehead. "Come here." She says, opening her arm for me. I crawl right in, gently resting my head just below her chest, my hand making its way to rub her stomach.

"I can't believe we have a baby growing in here." I say, drawing small circles on her skin. She runs her fingers through my hair, playing with my curly strands. "Yep, it's growing in there like a weed." She says, giggling. I chuckle and shake my head. "Noooo, you can't call our baby a weed." I say. "Don't listen to mam, you're not a weed little bean." I say, moving my head a little closer to her tummy. Her stomach heaves up and down as she laughs.

"You just called our kid, Bean." She chortles. "Hey there, Bean!" I speak to her stomach and she ends up having a fit of laughter. "By the way, mam sent a basket of fruits." I say as I sit up. "That's the third one this week." She whines as she pushes herself up the bed. "Do they really think I can finish a whole basket in a day. Keep it alongside the ones mam sent." She adds, grinning. "They're just excited." I tell her and she shakes her head, chuckling. When we told our parents, all of them were just ecstatic. There were tears everywhere and the mams were very very happy. I can't get over the look Perrie's dad gave me after we told him I knocked his daughter up, but he miraculously shrugged it off and gave me a hug.