Chapter 9 - Why don't you stay?

Silver

I've been tracking her for a while now. It's hard to track a scent with so many other smells like petrol that invades my nose. I tracked her to a small town and had to shift back into my human form. My nose wasn't as sensitive but I'd been breathing her scent for so long that I knew I could follow it with ease.

The fact that it's my mate's scent makes it easier as well and I wander the streets until her scent leads me to a coffee shop. I know I'm not far behind her.

I'm guessing I'm about half a day behind. I can feel my stomach demanding food and I buy a coffee and two wraps that actually look quite good, from the coffee shop. Eating while I walk I continue to follow her scent out of town. I leave the town entirely and suddenly her scent disappears. I frown in confusion, where did the scent go?

I give an annoyed growl she hitched a ride. I sit down and try to think how I'll track her now. I shift into my wolf and take a deep breath using my sensitive nose to pick up traces of scents I might have missed as a human. My eyes fly open when I pick up a certain scent that assaults my nose. My breathing quickens and I nearly take off running from the fear I feel running through my blood.

I don't need to track her anymore. I know where she is going.

Ivy

It turns out that Violet and Clare are really good singers. They reach certain pitches that seem impossible and I don't hear their voice crack once. They sing in tune with the music that blasts through the speakers and Lilly and Erik join in, though they are slighting off pitch.

 I laugh along with them and eventually join in with the singing. My voice is nothing special but it's impossible to hear it when the music is making the seat beneath me vibrate because of the bass. Add four singing voices and it's impossible to think about anything but the song.

I'm not sure how long we drive for. The singing sort of distracts me and for once I'm not tired from running. Eventually everyone is too hoarse to keep singing and the music is turned down to level where talking is possible.

"So Ivy, do you do a lot of hitchhiking?" Lilly asks in a conversational tone. Thinking back to the lie I told Clare and Violet I reply,

"My mum is known as a free spirit so we move around a lot and she encouraged me to and I quote "go where my blood wills it" She's always talking about how our family has wandering blood."

Erik nods "my great grandmother was like that, could never settle down, even when she had children she found excuses to go travelling."

Violet laughs "you're no better, in fact our whole family loves to travel," She looks at me "that's why we love to have these family reunions."

I nod and say, "I think it's a great family tradition."

Clare nods " I'm actually surprised you haven't come to them before."

I look at her with confusion written all over my face "I'm sorry but why would I go to your family reunion?"