Silver

Silver dust covers the floor around me. If I just look at the floor I can imagine that majority of the cuff is worn away. When I glance back at he cuff I see that the tiniest dint has been made in its surface.

“I have to stop, otherwise I’ll go mad.” I say to Ink and Ivory. The constant motion of rubbing the silver off is starting to make me twitch with boredom and it has left me plenty of time to think about what they might do to me.

While I was trying to wear the silver cuff off, my mind had plenty to time to imagine what would happen to me. I already know that they’ll question me but it’s the unknown that scares me.

I once went to a medieval fair where people dressed as knights and lords. There was a smith shop where they made authentic weapons and to the left of the shop was a tent where they re-enacted the torture methods used in medieval days. The actors used faked blood and sausages as the guts but they didn’t skip on the details of the tortures.

All the tortures they described run through my head. Each one making me shiver with fear. I continually remind myself that my mind is exaggerating and I have to tell myself to breathe.

Ivory and Ink both send me calming thoughts and help keep the fear at bay. I take comfort in them and for a moment I sit in silence, trying to regain my courage.

I’m about to start my grinding of the cuff when I hear footsteps outside my door. I glance at my cuff. The dint is hardly noticeable and I quickly look up to see the door opening. Reva appears seemingly alone.

“Come with me, we have some questions for you.” She says, her tone is one that implies that this isn’t up for discussion. Feeling a flood of warmth from Ink and Ivory I stand up and follow her out of the cell.

I’m surprised that there is no one else waiting outside and Reva, seeing my surprise says “we’re not too concerned about you, now that you can’t shift.”

I don’t reply and she motions for me to begin walking. She falls into step beside me and murmurs directions as we walk through the hallways and open spaces.

It doesn’t take long for us to reach our destination. We stop in front of a door that is set into the concrete. The door is a dark brown, almost black and has huge iron rivets going across it. Reva opens the old looking door to reveal a shiny metal door behind it.

She looks over to me “the old wooden door is more for looks, the metal door does all the work of soundproofing the room.”

She grips the handle and slides it across, revealing a medium sized room with concrete walls and a long table that has chairs all around it.

My eyes immediately focus on the three people who sit in the chairs. Their faces are stern and while they don’t seem threatening I can tell that these are the people who run the show.

Reva motions for me to walk inside and I have to force my feet to move across the threshold. As I walk in three pairs of eyes assesses me and I can practically hear the gears in their heads clicking over as they try to solve the puzzle that I am.