10

At 6:00, Lily and Severus headed to get some butterbeer themselves. They found a nice table for two in the back.

"So, why do you want to go to the Yule Ball with me?" Severus asked curiously. "Wouldn't you want James to ask you?"

Lily laughed. "I hope the last part was a joke."

Severus laughed as well. "It was. But really, why do you want to go with me?"

"You're my best friend, Severus. I've known you since we were little. Of course I want to share that special night with you." Lily explains. Severus' face was probably very red by now.

"Thanks." Severus managed to sputter out. Lily chuckled as she sipped her butterbeer.

"Not a problem."

"Thank you for not ever accepting James' date invites." Severus says, instantly regretting it. What if he gave it away that he, Severus Snape, has feelings for her?

"You don't have to thank me." Lily smiled. "I'm just not attracted to him. I'm pretty sure Liv is though."

"Really? I thought for sure she and Remus would make the perfect pair." Severus rose an eyebrow.

"Me too, but it's so obvious. She's always on his case about not asking me out, and when he does, she looks at me with jealousy. I can tell." Lily explains.

Severus shrugged. "That doesn't mean anything."

Lily laughed. "You don't know anything about love, do you?"

"I'm a bit uneducated on the subject." Severus teased, cracking a smile.

"I think we all are. I mean, we're fifteen. But it is possible to love someone at our age, yet it's unlikely. But it's definitely possible." Lily looked at Severus, hiding a small smirk.

'Is she implying something? Nope, I'm
probably just desperate.' Severus thought to himself, holding back a sigh.

"Yeah." was all that managed to come out of Severus' mouth. Just a plain "yeah."

Lily ignored Sev's sudden change of tone and took another sip of her butterbeer.

Lily knew something was up with her best friend, but she couldn't quite pinpoint it. She decided she wouldn't bring it up unless it got out of hand or she noticed that he's acting too strangely.

Usually, Severus would share a lot with Lily, talking a lot. She's the only person he actually talks to and holds a steady conversation with. But not today. Lily did all the taking, to which he merely nodded in between her sentences.

"Well, I really should go. I've got some, er, business to take care of. Thanks for the butterbeer! It was delicious." Severus rambled, and speed walked out of the restaurant before Lily could even open her mouth. His butterbeer was untouched. He hadn't taken a single sip.

Lily frowned and leaned back in her chair, crossing her legs. She sat up for a moment to pull Sev's butterbeer cup up to her so she could drink it later. She frowned once again, concerned about her best friend. They told each other everything. She felt kind of betrayed.

Just then, Liv and Ray walked into The Three Broomsticks, laughing and playfully hitting each other in the shoulder. Lily slumped in her chair after taking a big sip of what used to be Severus' butterbeer. She let out yet another loud sigh as she stared at the ceiling.

Liv and Ray found a table for two not too far away from Lily's, yet they hadn't noticed her yet. Lily decided she wouldn't talk to them unless they walked over to her and started a conversation. She let out a sigh, staring at the floor. Laughter filled the room, all from Ray and Liv. This frustrated Lily because usually this is her and Severus; but not recently. She missed laughing so hard that she'd cough and Severus would tease her about it. She missed hearing hilarious stories from Severus. Ray and Liv's new friendship made Lily so jealous.

She took another sip of her, well Sev's butterbeer, and she watched the two talk to each other out of the corner of her eye. They were chatting like they've known each other for years, yet Lily knew they just met because she'd never seen them around before, and when they were together they gave off a faint aura of a blooming friendship. Lily quietly sighed once again and watched the two.