36

Lily didn't know whether she wanted to go up to Liv. But if she did, she had to act fast, because Liv seemed to be in a hurry. Lily took in a deep breath and caught up to her.

"Hey Liv! Got a minute?"

"Sorry Lil, I really have to go find James," Liv sighed. "Do you have any idea where he is?"

"None," Lily told her. "But we need to talk. Right now."

"Can't it wait? James and I need to finish a conversation," Liv informed.

"Your conversation with James will have to wait. This is way more important." Lily assured her, biting her lip.

"What's more important than my best friend?" she asked curiously.

"My best friend." Lily whispered. 

"Severus?" Liv asked. 

Lily nodded. "I'll keep it brief. So, basically, You Know Who put a cloak over you and took you deep into the forest and pretended to be Sev for a moment, then convinced you to join him and the Death Eaters so that it would bring Sev to join, too. But apparently he saw potential in you, too. And you had Sev obliviate you so that you wouldn't remember this."

Liv raised a brow. "Why wouldn't I want to remember something as crazy as that? I would take it to Dumbledore right away!"

"Which is another reason why you were obliviated. Severus didn't want anyone to worry, or for a war to break out," Lily sighed. "Liv, no wonder Sev has been acting so weird. Maybe he really does have a relation or tie to the Dark Lord...I can't carry on with our investigation now that we truly know the truth. Case closed!"

"No, Lily!" Liv sighed. "We can't make assumptions. Even though what just apparently happened between Severus and I made it seem like that, it doesn't mean that it's true. Wouldn't you want to believe that Sev has nothing to do with He Who Must Not Be Named?"

"Well, yes, but it just seems so obvious now..."

"He could just be messing with us to make it seem like Severus has ties to him, you realize that, right?" Liv points out. "It's what He wants us to believe. He wants the ones who care about him, us, to turn on him, so that Sev has no one else to confide in but Him."

Lily nodded. "You have a point...But if I can't get the truth out of Severus naturally in a month, I'm going to confront him directly about it. I really don't want to associate with him if he turns out to be a Death Eater."

"Alright, we have a deal," Liv nods, holding her hand out for Lily to shake. And Lily did. "But I want you to know, if the rare occurrence that he is a Death Eater is true, I'm still going to be by his side. He could be going through a rough time. He could have been threatened. I want to be there for him."

"You're a great friend, Liv," Lily smiled weakly. "Wow, even I, Sev's best friend, won't be there for him...I'm a terrible person..."

"Lily, don't say that! You know it's not true!" Liv protests. "Of course, Severus will be heartbroken, but he'll understand, you know? He wants you to be safe and happy. And trust me, he's not a Death Eater, which is what Xeno and I have been trying to prove."

Lily nodded, on the verge of tears. She fought the tears back, like the brave Gryffindor she's supposed to be. "Thank you, Liv. Now go find James!" she smiled and gave Liv a quick hug.

Liv smiled. "Thanks, Lil. I'll see you later. Drop by the common room if you need anything, alright?" 

With that, Liv walked away to find James. But a million thoughts were swirling through her head. What if Severus really was working for You Know Who? She felt guilty for thinking it, because she knew it wasn't true and that she can trust Sev. She also wondered if what Lily told her about was true, or if she was spinning up that web of lies as an excuse to avoid Severus because she feels as if she can't forgive him yet, and she's found a reason why. She sighed and entered Honeydukes. No luck. Then made her way to Zonko's. She almost walked out after a while of searching, but then she heard a voice behind her call "Liv, wait."

Liv turned around slowly to see James.