35

When Liv woke up, she was sitting in the middle of a forest. The Forbidden Forest. She wasn't facing anyone, but someone was trying to talk to her from behind her.

"I know what your brother thought he saw," a familiar voice said. "But whatever he told you isn't true."

"Sev...Severus?" Liv asked, feeling quite terrified. "Why did you bring me out here?"

"I just need to make sure you haven't told anyone what your brother told you," Severus told her, still not facing her. "Because if you have...Then I need to obliviate some people, don't I?"

"Severus, this is pathetic! You know you could have just taken me to the lake and casually asked me about this, but you're making a big deal out of it!" 

"Am I? How would you like it if a rumor like the one your brother probably spread was centered around you?" 

"I get that, Sev, I do, but you're making a big deal out of this!" Liv protested.

"There's someone who'd like to talk to you," Severus said, ignoring her comment. 

"Okay?" Liv said, getting even more scared. 

"Liv," a deep, muffled voice said. "I'd like to have you on my side. You're an incredible young witch. Maybe it would convince Severus to side with me if you sided with me."

"Who...Who are you?"

"You know who."

Liv let out a loud, piercing scream and started to run as fast as she could. Maybe her brother was right after all! Severus is a Death Eater, and he and Voldemort have been working together on school grounds this whole time! Her whole conspiracy with Xenophilius was pointless! She had to go tell Xenophilius the truth. As Liv was running away from the forest, Severus was entering. 

"Liv? Why are you such a hurry? And why were you in the forest?" Severus asked curiously.

Liv screamed again. "Are you kidding? You're the one who dragged me into the forest and brought You Know Who before me!"

"What?!" Severus asked, clearly confused and a bit scared. "But how, I...I just got here."

"Well, then why were you going into the forest in the first place? And why is He Who Must Not Be Named in there, trying to convince me to be a Death Eater?!" Liv spat. She was trembling by now.

"I-I don't know!" Severus shouted, clearly as scared as she was. "I've only encountered him once, and I told him that I wanted nothing to do with him and just because I was practicing the Dark Arts-"

"Wait--you're practicing the Dark Arts?!"

"Let's talk about that later. I declined his offer to be a Death Eater, but I have been practicing the Dark Arts. Just for fun, you know? I only plan to use it if I absolutely have to." Severus explained to her.

"That still doesn't explain why the Dark Lord is in the forest, trying to convince me to be a Death Eater!" Liv cried. Tears were coming down her cheeks fast, and a few sobs escaped her mouth. 

"I'm sorry you had to go through that," Severus sighed, opening his arms. Liv ran into his arms, sobbing even more. "Yes, come here."

"I will never, ever associate myself with you if you go into that forest ever again." Liv told him sternly, sadness and fright in her voice. 

"Then I won't," Severus assured her, rubbing her back while still holding her close.

"Thanks," she sighed, pulling away from the embrace. "But...I'm still traumatized." 

"I could obliviate you if that would be best," Severus told her.

"I...I don't know, Severus," Liv sighed. "Maybe we should take this up to Dumbledore. That I saw Tom Riddle." 

"I'm not sure if that's a great idea, Liv," Severus frowned. 

"Why not? Dumbledore could do something about it!" she protested. 

"But then it'll frighten the whole school. Did you stop to think about that? We don't want a war to break out," Severus points out.

"Good point," Liv nodded. "So, speak to no one of this? Not even my brother?"

"Not even him," Severus told her. "And if you do tell someone, which I know you won't because I trust you, I'll find out."

Now Severus was scaring her a bit. "Alright, Severus. Obliviate me. I don't want to remember this. I came outside to find James. Please, obliviate me."

Severus nodded, pointing his wand at Liv. "Obliviate!"

"Severus?" Liv asked after a moment. "Why am I here, coming out of the forest?..."

"Well, you were trying to find James but you fainted from dehydration," Severus lied. "So I helped you."

"Oh," Liv nodded. "That's right! Thanks, Severus. I'll see you later!"

Liv smiled at Severus before setting off to find James. Severus sighed as she walked away. He felt bad that he had to lie to her, but it was what she wanted. And most of all, he felt bad for what she had to go through. He saw how frightened she was. He would never forgive himself for that. At least she wouldn't remember though, and at least nobody was around to see them.

Or so he thought.