17

Ray and Remus were enjoying themselves, talking about their favorite books and telling each other things they wouldn't tell others as they danced.

"Well, I'm about to tell you something really personal to me...Please don't tell anyone. I trust you, Ray." Remus said seriously, looking Ray in the eyes.

Ray felt as if this could be a perfect moment between them. He was going to tell her something that nobody knows but the Marauders. She felt special that he trusted her with it.

"You can trust me." Ray assured him, looking at him nervously.

"So, er, this may sound crazy, but when there's a full moon, I turn into a werewolf...I understand if this makes you feel uncomfortable and you don't want to be my friend anymore." Remus explained, looking down embarrassedly.

"Hey, hey." Ray started, carefully lifting his chin up with her finger. "That doesn't change the way I look at you. Remus, even though we've only known each other for awhile, I really like you, and nothing could change that."

Remus looked at her, a single tear rolling out of his eye. "Wow, thank you..." He laughed, but it was short and breathy. It almost seemed like a breath of relief. 

"Anytime." Ray assured him, her lips curling into a smile. 

Without thinking, Remus leaned in and kissed her. The lighting was dim and romantic, so this made it the perfect opportunity anyway. Remus had his hands on the small of her back, and Ray kissed back almost as if it was her first instinct--which it most likely was. His lips were soft, like the inside of a fuzzy sweater. Their lips kind of just danced, perfectly fitting each other.

Eventually, Remus pulled away, his face showing that he was flustered. "I'm sorry, that wasn't appropriate..."

"Are you kidding? I practically just confessed that I like you." Ray chuckled and playfully punched him in the arm. Remus cracked a small smile and the two of them continued to dance.

                                                                        +++

"Severus, I really should ask you something." Lily told her best friend as they danced.

"Yes?" Severus asked quietly.

"Over the past few weeks, I've noticed you've been acting quite strange. You can tell me anything, you know that." Lily explained seriously, looking him directly in the eye. Severus tried to avoid eye contact in this moment.

"I have?" Severus asked, acting dumbfounded. Lily thought it was obvious he knew he was acting off.

"Come on, Severus, you're my best friend and I really care about you." Lily assured, smiling at him. 

Severus was getting annoyed. "It's something a filthy mudblood like you wouldn't understand."

Severus didn't even realize what word just rolled off his tongue until Lily showed an expression of shock. He then gasped quietly, his face turning bright red.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean that!" Severus protested, feeling embarrassed and angry with himself. Lily didn't even say a word. She gave him an angry glare and stormed away, leaving Severus in the middle of the dance floor.

"Lily!" Severus yelled, running after her.

"Get away from me." Lily spoke in between her teeth, angrily clenching her fists.

"You know I didn't mean it!" He protested, panting a bit.

Lily turned around harshly. "Do I? No, I don't. I just can't tell with you anymore." She continued to walk away in a fast pace. But of course Severus wouldn't give up.

"Lily, please, I didn't mean it, I promise." Severus pleaded. "Hear me out. I'll tell you why I've been acting so strange. Please."

"No! It's too late. A mudblood like me just wouldn't understand." Lily said matter-of-factly. "Now if you really are sorry, you'd leave me alone right now."

"Will we talk tomorrow?" Severus asked hopefully.

"It's hard to say right now." Lily said. "Leave me alone, alright? You've done enough."

With that, Lily vanished from sight, leaving Severus in the middle of a random hallway. He sat there for awhile, not knowing what to do. He doesn't know what got into him, and he felt ashamed. He may have lost his best friend, and the thought of that was killing him. He just wanted to have a good night, but of course he had to go and ruin it.

A few moments later, Liv walked into that hallway to get some fresh air. She saw Severus sitting in a corner and she sat by him.

"Severus, where's Lily?" 

"I called her a mudblood."

Liv could feel herself get mad, but she quickly contained herself because she understood Severus felt horrible about it. "Oh, Sev, why would you do that?"

"It just rolled off my tongue. God, I'm such an idiot." Severus sighed. "I just lost my best friend. Will you talk to her for me?"

"I can try, but honestly Severus she isn't going to tell me about it right away. She's probably hurting right now. The best I can do is just be there for her at the moment," Liv explained to him. "But it's better than nothing, right?"

"I guess so." Severus shrugged. "I feel horrible..."

"You should. I'm just telling the truth. At least you have the decency to know it was wrong." Liv assured him, standing up. "Go back out there and make some friends. I'll go find her."

Severus and Liv parted ways, and Liv started walking to Lily's dorm. She knocked on the door. No reply. She knocked louder. Still no reply, but she could hear Lily sobbing in there and punching pillows.

"Lily?" Liv asked softly. Still no response. Liv took this as a signal to just give up and leave. She respected that Lily needed space, so she walked up to Lucius' dorm again.

"Well, we have a situation..." Liv sighed as she sat with her brother.

"More drama?" Lucius let out a shaky laugh. "What now?"

"Well, Severus called Lily a filthy mudblood..."

Lucius had nothing to say about that. He just sighed. Sure, Lucius had no place to just sigh since he made fun of muggle borns all the time, but this was different. Lily was the only good friend of Severus, and their bond was so strong. Lucius knew this. And he knew exactly why Severus slipped up and called her a mudblood.

"Liv, if you don't believe me when I say he's a Death Eater, you're insane."