15

"Lily, he's just acting so weird! James too! The only sane ones at this point are Remus and Peter!" Liv exclaimed, throwing in aggravated hand gestures here and then as she ranted to her friend, whose best friend was also acting strangely.

"Perhaps they could all be connected somehow?" Lily suggested.

"I was thinking that with Ray earlier, but it can't be. The only times they all come into contact is when they're planking or teasing Severus. And if that was the case, they'd be laughing and making jokes of it all day long." Liv explained, looking Lily in the eye. She was determined to get to the bottom of this.

"You could be a detective." Lily chuckled and playfully punched Liv's arm. Liv shrugged, smiling a bit.

"I just love mysteries—and I never back down until I solve them." Liv admits, smiling sheepishly. Not only that, but she was worried about her friends.

"Maybe they're all hiding something. But what confuses me is that they'd tell us!" Lily says, a bit irritated. She let out an exasperated sigh.

"Maybe it's just something they can't tell us. Me and Ray came to this conclusion earlier." Liv explained. "But tomorrow is the Yule Ball; so let's just relax and have fun with our dates."

"Sounds good to me!" Lily laughed. "A day off solving the case would be nice."

"Agreed." Liv nodded. "Now I believe I owe my friends an apology...I stormed out on them this morning."

"Nah, just tell them you're on your period and it's your last day. They'll understand and won't say a word." Lily laughed, as well as Liv did as they arrived at the common room. "Here's my stop." Liv said.

"See you tomorrow!" Lily waved to her as she walked away. Liv walked into the dorm to see only James and Remus there. Remus was lost in a textbook while James was staring out a window. Liv sat next to James. "Hey."

He looked at her. "Hey."

"I owe you an apology for storming out earlier...I feel like it's all I've been doing lately, though." Liv admits, sighing quietly.

"It's alright, Liv. I admit there is something going on with me that I just can't tell you...Nobody knows but me." James tells her, looking her directly in the eye.

"Well, thank you for telling me that much. I was really worried about you." Liv smiled and looked into his eyes as well, trying so hard not to let her face heat up. They shared that small moment for a few more seconds until Peter and Sirius stumbled into the dormitory, laughing loudly. Remus let out a groan of annoyance.

"I'm trying to read." Remus says loudly. Sirius and Peter ignored his comment.

"DID YOU SEE HIS FACE?" Peter chuckled.

"I know!" Sirius hit him on the back while laughing hysterically. "It was amazing! I'll remember it forever!"

The two laughed in unison, sounding like hyenas at some point.

"What did you guys do?" Liv sat up. James looked over at them.

"We pranked Snivellus." Peter said in between laughs.

Liv wanted to frown, but she gave her two friends a small smile. "What did you do?"

"We tied a bucket of mud on one of the branches of the tree he usually sits under, and Peter stood behind and pulled it so it fell on his head!" Sirius laughed.

"And he was a mud blood for a minute!" Peter giggled, slapping his knee. Liv frowned and pushed up her glasses.

'He's going through a rough time. How stupid can you be?' Liv thought to herself, but still participated in their little act to make them happy. She fake laughed, yet it was very convincing.

"That's awesome!" Liv laughed. It hurt her so much to laugh and she knew it felt wrong. But of course this all cheered James up, who was laughing maniacally, squirming on the bed like he's being tickled.

That was definitely not an act.