Corruption Side-Story: Elena's Story

I was born on the 11th of Alta Luna, of the 3,741. 3,741 years ago, a knight crashed upon the land, fighting a giant fire demon. He defeated it, and disappeared. The elders said he hid in the forest, since the knight didn't want fame for doing his job.

As a little kid I always wished to see the knight. My people were peaceful since there were almost no dangers in our land. We were hunters and farmers, life was simple. My mother was a farmer, while my father was a hunter. We lived under God's law, and we took care of his land.

Some people saw the coming of the knight and the dragon as the catalyst of the apocalypse. Such a scary thought was inconceivable. What could happen in such a peaceful land?

———

I don't know why, but on the seventeenth of the month Tierra Baja, something spectacular happened. I was chosen to be the Rosa Blanca, some sort of priestess that was meant to keep the people safe. I was going to be trained for the job. The Rosa Blanca is supposed to have some connection to the stars and the destiny of those among them. I wonder what it means? It sounds important, and I really wish to learn more about it.

I was chosen when a mysterious symbol resembling a four-pointed white star appeared on my back. I was then gifted with the ceremonial robe, which was a white dress with a golden star on the chest, and golden decorations. I refused to wear the boots though, since they were uncomfortable when I had to walk around, and I preferred to be barefoot.

———

A knight came to town! It was so exiting! I had found him, resting against a tree in the forest near the village. He looked weird, since he first appeared to wear some weird metal suit, but then he changed into a knight! It was amazing.

He came to the village with me, and everyone, including my parents celebrated! It was amazing! He played with me and my friends the whole day. We danced around the camp fire as well. I wonder why he refused to take of his helmet though? I hope he could have stayed for my ninth birthday, which was tomorrow, but he said something about leaving for an unexplained reason.

———

I awoke that night to the sound of screaming. Outside my house's windows there was red light coming in. I went outside to investigate since my parent's weren't in their beds. I came outside and saw my town on fire. People were running away from something. I was scared and tried running away, but I was hit by something.

I felt a pain on my back, like something hot just bit me. I was thrown forward and landed on the dirt. I tried standing up, but I couldn't feel my legs. I could turned my head though. I looked at what hit me. I could see some sort of skeleton in dar robes. The skeleton's left side was pure white, while the other was an inhuman color of black, darker than the night. His right eye glowed red, and the left had a pale blue color. He carried with him a large scythe with a black blade and a silver handle.

He tried to pick me up, but something hit him and sent him back. I looked up to see who hit him and saw the knight standing over me. I was happy. He did come to rescue us like he had done before.

———

I felt nothing but a chill in my body, as I floated in an empty space made of light. There was no pain anymore. I don't know what happened to the knight, or the skeleton. I felt no panic, nor fear, no happiness, I didn't feel anything.

I floated for a long time. Eight years passed. I counted. I was now seventeenth, and my body had grown as well. Weirdly, my clothes had adjusted themselves into my new state. Still I floated and floated, until I found a light. A light that was brighter than the rest of the light around me, like a star.

I touched it, and so many things were revealed to me. I cried, for what was shown to me was nothing but pain. I saw the knight without his helmet. He was crying, but why?

He was crying because of something around him? Oh, I did something bad? Yes, I am standing beside him in a room made of metal? Slowly, I was revealed more and more. A danger, something called the corruption. A demon, one that was tempting people. Two sisters, both of them were evil and covered in the blood of their brethren. And lastly, a massive snake, bigger than anything there ever was. The snake, evil incarnate, that's what it was. It saw me. I was looking at images, yet I could feel it looking at me. And it spoke, only that it wasn't towards me. His words takeover this page, and they say:

I see you all. No, not talking to the characters in this book. I am talking to all of you, beyond the glass barrier. I talk to the ones that are hiding thinking that I am only a character.

All characters here... are fiction. I am real. Oh, I am very much real. Evil incarnate. I am the madness in your souls. The enemy, or the author's representation of evil. Yes, I am very much real. And I see you all, and I will take great pleasure in torturing your little heroes. I am the enemy, the antagonist amongst all those books you read. For nothing protects from me. For I know the truth. I am not breaking the fourth wall, since I am well beyond it. My time is up. Your author is tired of writing about me.

And like that, the snake was gone. I could not understand what he said. I wonder if it was important?

———

I remained there for a while, until I knew all about my destiny. It was dark, really dark. It brings nothing but grief and sadness. All the pain I must bring, and it is all necessary. Or maybe not. The snake keeps talking, saying it doesn't. I ignore the snake. But he keeps bothering. He says he constructed my future.