begin

Paper Balls | Yoonmin

"The fact that he continued to throw crumpled paper balls at me made me think he wanted more than for me to just throw them back"

- -
Copyright© 2018
YoonminNCompany

*the first many chapters are going to be short. please bare with me. i know it doesn't seem good at first but it gets better. i just had a tough time developing into the story through the first few chapters* <3

▫☁❇☁▫

i never cared much for the new kids. they just didn't interest me. if one was to come into our friend group, i wasn't the one to initiate it. so, once hearing that we'd be getting a new one, i disregarded the statement moments later.

and, my day began like it usually does. i have no siblings to wake me up in the morning. well, i used to but that's not for now. i have a mother but she is never home. i've gotten good at taking care of myself over the years.

i took a shower, got dressed, and skipped breakfast. you know, my normal routine. i threw on an old green beanie that was laying on the kitchen table before leaving the house. the cold weather bit at my nose and exposed hands. i've been here long enough and yet i can't quite seem to get used to the cold.

i was met by my friend hoseok just outside his house. i smiled, seeing his friendly face beaming at me. he's been one of my closest friends since i moved here a few years back. he's the happy virus of our whole group. hoseok never ceases to be able to cheer others up or entertain us on boring days. he's absolutely great.

hoseok and i parted at the entrance of the school. he and i have different schedules this year, like most of our friends, but we all make it work. half of us have lunch a and half of us have lunch b. but, we all have lunch together on wednesdays.

as i walked in, something caught my attention. it was the unfamiliar color at the back of the room. i am used to girls wearing the light pastel colors, but not the boys. he had his head facing down so i wasn't able to see his face. he had a pair of white earbuds in, as well. his hair was a light brown but the thing that really caught my attention was still the light blue sweater he was wearing.

"yoongi?" someone tugged on my jacket sleeve. i was snapped out of my daze that i hadn't realized i was in.

"huh?" i shrugged it off and took a seat next to namjoon. he's pretty cool- we aren't super close but he is still fun to hang around with. just don't let him into your house unless you want a few things here and there broken. he once broke his own ceiling fan-

namjoon and i chatted until he and i had to leave for our classes. i have friends in each class but my lifestyle class (?). it's early in the year and i still haven't learned the name of it. it's far more complicated than it should be. i was required to take the class to earn an extra credit. my mother wants me to go to college even though we will never be able to afford it. i also have no interest in going to college.

i watched as the boy in the pastel sweater hurried to his next class, the one i had next as well. i never liked math very much. my brain never was able to grasp the concepts. i hate numbers.

he sat in the back of the classroom. he had managed to keep his headphones in, which surprised me. the teachers are usually very strict on the use of any technological devices. he is new, so maybe the teachers are just giving him the upper hand for today. he seems pretty shy, just from watching him this morning.

that whole class, i found myself looking over at him. he was a few seats away from me but i could see him. i never could understand why i'd become so infatuated with him. i've never even seen his face.

should i talk to him?

wait. what?

i shook my head. since when do i have those kinds of thoughts? he obviously is someone who doesn't like talking to people- wait, again. why am i getting defensive over my own thought? god, i have problems. but, seriously, he looks like he needs a friend. maybe he's just really quiet since it's his first day. he'll find his right friend group eventually.

i didn't pay attention to even half of that class. it doesn't matter to me very much if i pass or don't pass it. i will have enough credit by the end of the year to graduate. i don't have to worry.

my second class is science, which the boy in the blue sweater doesn't have, i don't think. at least, he's not here now.

i took my seat next to namjoon.

"seriously. are you okay?" he asked.

"what? i'm fine, joon." i defended, pulling out a journal and a pencil. i decently like this class enough. we get to do some cool stuff in here, at least.

"you just seem distracted." he furrowed his eyebrows.

"i'm fine, joon." i laughed. he didn't seem to believe me. do i appear that way? i wouldn't know. i mean, i am a little tired. but then again, when do i ever sleep well, eat well, anything like that? haha. i wouldn't see how things are different today. unless he's only noticing that now, which would be odd. that boy can be so blind sometimes.

i go to lunch after science with joon, jein, and whoever happens to be in my classes. we have side friends but those are just guys i don't talk to very much. maybe i exchange a few words a day with them but i usually don't care about what they have to say. they are all straight fuckboys anyways. and i don't mess with straight fuckboys. it isn't worth my time.

the same bright color caught my eye again. it was the same boy with his head positioned down and his headphones in. only this time, he had a regular book with him. something pulled me towards him. i didn't even realize where i was going until i was almost there.

he seemed to notice me and he slightly turned his head.

oh my god he's cute.

shit.

he's cute- no. stop.

i mentally scolded myself. he just stared at me. i need to say something oh shit. uhh. i can't just walk away.

"hi." i said.

"hi." he replied. well, i didn't hear him but i saw his mouth move. i put out my hand, being the idiot i am. this isn't a formal meeting what the hell was i thinking? he just looked at my hand for a few seconds then replaced his earbud, turning back to his book. i sighed and walked back to my table.

when i was questioned by my friends, all i answered with was a shrug, "he looked lonely."

__________

A/N: I keep changing this note but I'm gonna plug my Instagram: @/stellaexists so go follow meh if you wanna be friends I like making friends. And thanks you all for almost 500k reads, that's a lot more than I ever expected in just a year ^~^
- Kuiper