chapter 49

Year 3000 - Busted (am I the only one who used to love this song?)

Love is a funny thing. Its magnificent, enchanting, desiring. Every human being seeks out love, they seek out somebody who will cherish them. We all desire love, even though we know the risk of heartbreak and pain.

When I first met Xavier, I tried to push him away. I could feel the attraction between us but I ignored it because I was scared. Yet, Xavier proved to me countless times that he would always be here for me, no matter what. And that's one of the trillion reasons to why I love him.

When Chris started these messages, I was terrified. I assumed Chris was mad at me and my family because we dumped him in an institute. My first thoughts on why Chris wanted revenge was because he wanted love. He wanted to feel secure in the fact that he is loved, that his family does cherish him.

But now looking at my brother, with his cold eyes and sinister smirk, I don't see a brother who wants love. No, I see a monster.

After his confession on wanting to take me down, I froze. My own brother wanted to kill me, just like he killed May. The sister I will never get to meet.

Xavier was still lying on the ground, unconscious. I'm terrified his wound is going to get worse. The piece of glass stuck in his stomach is deep. Very deep.

Chris didn't care about Xavier, whose only relation to this matter is the fact that I'm dating him. If Xavier dies, I will never forgive Chris or myself.

"Chris, this is insane," I plead.

His green eyes glint with something evil. There's something bitter and malevolent in his eyes that makes me want to run and hide under my bed.

"Oh Annabella, haven't you worked it out yet?" He taunts. He's now chucking the knife up in the air and is catching it. My eyes follow the dangerous weapon cautiously.

"I am insane."

I swallow harshly at his wicked smirk. Chris is enjoying this—he's relishing in the power he has over this situation.

Chris takes another step forward with confidence whilst I stumble back in fear. This only makes his smirk grow larger.

"What are you going to do now Annabella? Your precious prince charming isn't going to wake up and save you. You're doomed." I frantically shake my head. True, Xavier might not wake up but I'm not doomed. I still have hope. I have hope that at least one of my friends received my distressing message. I have hope they called the police. I have hope the police will get here in time and stop Chris before he ends up killing me or Xavier.

Hope is my strength.

"Maybe you should be worried, Chris." I counter back. Chris pauses and then he throws his head back and barks out a laugh.

He doesn't seem to have a care in the world. I bite my lip so hard that it draws blood.

"Please, I really don't see any danger here," he comments, his eyes doing a once over of me. I narrow my eyes, not pleased that he sees me as weak and incapable.