• Chapter One •

"Common sense is common, right?"      

 One Month Later 

Cassius stood on the porch, grinning from ear to ear, and Reeve patiently sat beside him. They listened to the gentle chirps of the birds as the sunlight filtered through the canopy of trees. A jeep rumbled to life from the garage, some of the warriors hooting in victory, and Cassius's grin grew roguish. 

"Any minute now," He clucked his tongue. 

As if on cue, he heard his Alpha and Beta coming down the stairs inside, and then the door swung open. The two leaders had duffel bags swung over their shoulders, and as they descended onto the porch, the jeep pulled up to the front of the house. 

Last night, Leon had been contacted by the Werewolf Council. They had said it was an urgent meeting and his presence was required immediately. He couldn't refuse, and as any Alpha, their Beta always accompanied them.

The two men threw their bags in the back seat of the jeep, and Leon turned to observe his men, who had gathered in the yard. His gaze lingered a moment on Reeve as he thought of how she'd already earned the trust of the pack and he smiled a little. Some flowers just needed a little help to blossom.

Leon straightened his shoulders, clearing his throat, "I know this isn't an appropriate time to be leaving, but the meeting shouldn't last long--if not a false alarm with the Hunters. We should return by sundown in forty eight hours."

The warriors glanced at each other, a knowing light in their eyes. 

It wasn't the first time they'd said goodbye to their superior leaders for a few days.  

Leon focused on his Gamma, "Cassius, you are in charge while we are away, but that doesn't mean to break out and do some crazy shit," Cassius's eyes glowed with amusement as he nodded, and Leon shook his head, "As usual, Ralf is secondary command, along with my Advisers. No one leaves the territory, and if there is an--"

"With all due respect, Alpha," Elijah stepped forward, interrupting Leon, amusement danced in the Enforcer's eyes, "Just get the hell out of here. We know the procedure." The warriors nodded, knowing their Alpha was often plagued with concern, so as he helped them, they also helped him. 

Leon's eyes flashed at Elijah, but then he shook his head with a small smile, "Okay, our mind link will be open at any time."

Finally, the warriors watched their Alpha and Beta climb into the purring jeep and then it drove off into the woods. There was silence for a few moments as everyone listened to the fading noise, and then they all looked at each other.