• Chapter Eight •

"How do you define change?"      

She let out a frustrated breath, falling back against the bed.

"Almost," Cassius chuckled, standing a foot away with amusement in his eyes, "Try to focus on me instead of your feet. Glaring at them isn't going to get them to move." 

She sent him an irritated glare and he stuck his tongue out. She rolled her eyes, wrapping her trembling fingers around the bed post, and then she gently eased herself off the bed's surface. Her legs were foreign and numb, her toes barely feeling the cool wooden floor. It felt as if she'd stepped onto flimsy grass stalks, her legs refusing to listen.

She hated the feeling of being useless, feeling as if the world was mocking her weakness. She hated being human yet she couldn't shift back to wolf. She couldn't remember how, and without her wolf, she had nothing to summon. She dreaded it. 

What had the Moon Goddess done to her?

Her back was covered with a thin layer of sweat as her body trembled with exhaustion. As soon as she had woken, Cassius insisted she eat a full meal and then he started this thing called therapy that she wanted to be over. He wouldn't let her quit until she managed to take one step. 

She growled in the back of her throat, narrowing her eyes at him. She took a breath, screaming internally at her legs, and she was surprised when her left leg responded. She felt a surge of hope and tried again. Her leg moved forward, then the other followed, and she looked up at Cassius. 

His eyes lit up, "See? You can do it. Your body just has to re-learn on two legs but you'll remember in due time." 

His praise was encouragement to her soul, an unknown emotion building in her chest, and she urged her legs to take another step. Cassius moved forward when she wobbled, but she held her hand out to stop him as she took another step.

"You've got it, Reeve!" The Gamma grinned, "Look at you, learning so quickly!" 

She felt her face trying to respond in its own expression - a smile - but it didn't quite make it as her legs quivered and then they gave out. Cassius quickly grabbed her torso before she hit the floor and he swiftly deposited her onto the bed. 

He ruffled her hair, his green eyes shining, "That's enough for today. I'm sure you feel tired, yeah?" 

She watched him for a moment, feeling the exhaustion setting in, and she hated the feeling, yet nonetheless she gave a firm nod. Cassius peeled back the blankets and she scooted under them.  

Cassius smirked down at her, "Its okay to feel tired. Your body is taxed with the change and you want to keep your strength up." 

She wanted to scoff. There was no strength. Her human body was nothing close to strength. It was fragile, like china glass, and the littlest of violence could fatally injure her. The simple danger of an illness could take her life, and she loathed it.