• Chapter Sixteen •

"Who is on whose side?"       

She was scared. 

Cassius told her to hide, even she knew when something was serious, and she took refuge in the pack house farthest from the Alpha's house. She scurried to mask her scent with the human perfume and then one of the warrior's directed her towards his room where she could hide. She listened with adrenaline racing through her veins as the warriors scrambled through the house with alarm, their footsteps like cracking thunder in the once serene afternoon. 

She was scared to lose her family all over again.

She didn't know what was going on. She heard pieces of conversations - along the lines of Alpha and Hunters. It did nothing to ease her anxiety. Her heart sped in her chest along with her breath with every passing minute. Worry plagued her, panic tried to conquer her, but she kept trying to take deep breaths. 

It was happening all over again.

It was the exact same thing that had happened the day she was captured. Her eyes shot through the room, seeking a quick escape. She had to get out if they came for her. The room was gloomy, dull beams of sunlight shining through the parted curtains. She had the urge to go shut them but her mind kept her body immobile. 

Was this her destiny? 

She only knew one thing. If she lost everything again ... she was going to be with it. She would lay to rest with her adopted family, her body among theirs. She refused to leave. Refused to be captured again. It would be her dying breath that separated her from the world. They could never have her again. 

She was willing to die. 

Suddenly, the doorknob jiggled and she whirled around to face the door. 

She thought it was Cassius coming to get her. He had said he'd return when he found out what was going on. She had been so consumed in her thoughts, raving through every possible option, and all it did was wreck her nerves; yet the sigh of relief never passed her lips. 

The door swung open and the man in the doorway was not Cassius. Her muscles grew rigid.

It was Simon. 

"Get out." She was surprised to hear her own emotionless voice. War raged in her soul and she desperately tried to reach Sekhet. She needed her wolf. Leon had promised to let her train with the warriors but it hadn't happened yet and she was defenseless. Too many years stood between the last time she'd fought in her human form.

The male seemed to know it as he gave her an ominous smile, leaning against the door-frame casually, "I don't think you should jump to conclusions so fast. I was directed here by one of the warriors."