• Chapter Seventeen •

"Is there peace in the world?"    

"That sounded like Reeve ...?" Lucas tilted his head towards the Gamma. 

They were waiting outside the Alpha's office. It was protocol for all higher ranking and four best warriors to be on hand during a meeting, especially if the two packs didn't get along or there was an outside threat. They could feel the tension from their Alpha despite the mind link being closed. 

Seconds before, they heard the howl of an angered wolf. They were confused. Cassius watched the hallways, "It did kind of sound like her. But I thought her wolf was ... suspended .. or whatever you wanna call it," He waved his hand in the air.

Their questions were answered when the patrolling wolves suddenly howled in the distance and they understood the alarm in their call. 

"Something is wrong," Lucas snapped to attention, Harley beside him, "I bet its the Nashoba warriors raising trouble. Give me a moment." 

Cassius frowned, "No, it can't be them. Why would Reeve be the first to alert anyone?"

There was a pause and then Cassius finally pieced it together. His feet were carrying him towards the front door before he knew it. He ran out onto the lawn and towards the farthest pack house. He didn't care if he was violating pack protocol, he had to get to Reeve. 

Glass crunched beneath his shoes as he jumped up the steps to the front door. He prayed to the Moon Goddess that Reeve was okay, running through the hall in panic. He faintly heard footsteps echoing his own behind him but he was in such a state that his mind didn't register it. 

Nothing registered until he swung open the door of Ace's room and the sight before him crushed all the air from his chest. 

There was blood. Everywhere. It decorated the walls, painted the floors. The window was broken, the torn curtains fluttering slightly in the breeze, and then his eyes found the heap of man laying off to the side. 

He recognized him as Beau, the newest arrival, but his stomach flipped at the sight of Beau's scarred and bleeding face. The man appeared to be unconscious. Cassius' eyes quickly snapped back towards the window where he saw two silver eyes staring back at him from the shadow of the windowsill.

"Reeve," He breathed in relief. She moved from the shadows upon hearing his voice and he was surprised to see her in her wolf form, "You can shift again?" But then he realized the blood staining her fur. She had been the one in trouble. 

Reeve stalked towards him, her left shoulder stiff, and he reached out to let her nuzzle his hand, "What happened to you?" 

"What the hell!"  

Cassius turned to find Asher and Leroy standing in the doorway. A few warriors stood behind them, their faces masks of shock. 

"I don't know," Cassius replied, rubbing Reeve's head, "I just found her. I think Beau might have tried to attack her -"