• Epilogue •

"Sometimes we say goodbye, have you?" 

Seven Months Later

She walked among the warm colors of fall, the toes of her boots crunching leaves that had fallen from the trees. A crisp air swirled around her, gently rustling the leaves, and she pulled her jacket closer. The snow was coming, she could feel it already. 

She was in no hurry despite the sun telling her that dark would come soon as it started lowering from the sky. She had a few more hours at least. She enjoyed her walk, listening to the peace of the land. The harmony that flowed in not just one pack land. It was a constant reminder that her sacrifices had been worth it. 

She reached her destination. A quiet bank set on the river edge and she paused to take a deep breath before she approached the numerous tombstones that laid in peace there, beneath the old trees, covered in glorious colors of orange, red and yellow. An honoring of the ones who made the greatest sacrifice. 

She gently kneeled by the first and her fingers chased away the fallen leaves so that she could read the words. A smile graced her lips and she pressed her hand to the tombstone in gratitude, as she did every month. She would never forget them. They were her saviors. The cool stone seemed to warm beneath her fingers, even if it was for the briefest of moments.

She could still remember them as if they lived yesterday. Their eyes, their voices, their love. It had been almost a year since the war had taken place. A year since she lost her brothers. A year since her pack had changed the fate of werewolf history. 

So much had changed since almost a year ago. 

She could still feel the sorrow that had taken place the day her brothers were laid to rest in this very spot. She remembered how there was not one person who didn't cry, not one who didn't mourn. The ceremony for their deaths had been beautiful, set on the night of a full moon, exactly at midnight. Torches of fire lit the night and the Moon Goddess herself oversaw it all. 

She closed her eyes. She could hear the words that everyone spoke in honor of their brothers. She could see the anguish on their faces. But, she could also see something else. It wasn't like a devastation, it was more of a hope. They mourned that night but didn't grieve for the nights to follow.

She wouldn't say that they were okay with the death of their brothers but she would say that it was almost like bittersweet goodbye and maybe a good luck wish in the afterlife. She couldn't find the right word to explain it.