• Chapter Nineteen •

"Can strangers be friends?"       

It was silent. 

The silence could not be broken. 

A similar silence when Reeve had finally convinced Leroy to hear what Beau had to say. The same silence that followed when Beau gave them everything in his knowledge. The world was riddled with silence and there was no will to break it. 

The jeep hummed along the road, the trees growing denser with each passing mile. Leroy was oddly calm in his seat on the passenger side while Asher drove. They had nothing else to lose. They had no other place to turn. It seemed like it had been the end of the road until Reeve discovered an unexpected bridge that might help them fight the war. 

A dark storm was brewing. 

Beau was seated in the back next to Reeve, who sat in the middle, and Elijah sat on her other side. Leroy has insisted they bring Beau. They didn't really know what they were getting into, they were climbing out on a branch in hopes of it not snapping under their weight. 

Was it a suicide mission? 

They'd left the pack three hours ago, trekking a straight shot right to Canada. Leon stayed behind in case of a surprise attack. It was only the five of them heading straight into the heart of the monster - or so it felt. 

Yet, they had hope that they could persevere. They had accomplished the impossible with Reeve, made her human again. 

Maybe everything wasn't impossible. 

Leroy let out a sigh as he leaned his head against the glass. He didn't have any other choice. There was no pack that would ally them against the Conquistadors. Although many wished to fight back, the Conquistador Pack was far too big, far too cynical. 

It would take a miracle. 

Another hour passed and then the silence changed. 

Elijah was the first to become tense and then Leroy straightened in his seat, then they were all rigid as they felt another pack's territory. 

"We're here," Beau murmured and his companions turned their eyes outside the vehicle. 

The terrain was rugged and wild. The pine trees held a roughness in their appearances and the ground heaved with jagged rocks and ledges. The jeep tossed to the side as Asher slowed and the tire tracks they followed were so faint they could barely be seen. 

A wilderness that sheltered the most wild. 

They crept along for only a few more feet and suddenly a black mass appeared through the trees. A large wolf ran with the vehicle and then another, soon the jeep was surrounded by wolves. A moving sea of the mightiest warriors who embraced their beast.