• Chapter Three •

"What makes us family?"        

They were ready. 

The sun had barely risen over the shaded mountains when the pack houses came to life with muted lights and hushed voices. Upon Reeve's agreement to find Leon's brother, the pack buzzed with an energy of excitement. 

Everything had been assembled the night before, the plans laid out, and it barely took five minutes for everyone going on the trip to buckle themselves into the three jeeps. They began the journey with little knowledge and high hopes. It reminded them of when they'd went after Reeve. A déjà vu.   

Asher drove the first jeep with Leon in the passenger seat, Elijah and Nathan in the back seat, with Reeve tucked in the back of the jeep. They had tried to get her in the back seat but her large frame wouldn't fit, and it didn't seem that she was very comfortable with it anyway. 

In the jeep behind them, Lucas drove with four other warriors and an enforcer drove the third jeep with a warrior. They didn't know what they would find, so they brought a third jeep just in case. 

It was relatively quiet during the ride besides the quiet murmur of voices from the radio and the air was charged with a heavy hope. They drove for hours, following the vague instructions they'd highlighted on a map, and it was well into the afternoon with the sun slowly descending from the sky. 

"Stop." 

The jeeps screeched to a halt upon Leon's command and his warriors looked to him in question. They were in the middle of a ponderosa pine forest, the giant trees towering over them with intimidating shadows cast across the road. They were still nearly six miles south of their destination.

"I feel something." Leon murmured, his eyes scanning the surroundings. 

There was a slight shuffle as Reeve sat up in the back and the males glanced at her. Leon's eyes were burning with aspiration as the she-wolf was immobile, her attention solely focused outside of the vehicle, deep into the leaden forest. He knew there wasn't a doubt that she was picking up on something they couldn't.  

Leon unclipped his seat belt, "He's here." 

The warriors got out of the vehicles, their stances protective as they circled around their Alpha and Reeve leaped from the back of the jeep as soon as Asher pulled open the door. Leon presented a red handkerchief from his pocket. 

"This has his blood on it," Leon said, holding it towards Reeve, "Find him, Reeve." 

The she-wolf brought her nose close to the handkerchief and inhaled deeply. Her eyes closed as she committed the scent to memory, and when her eyes reopened they glowed a fiery silver. Sekhet bore her teeth at them but then she turned and lifted her nose to the air.