• Chapter Five •

"What can you survive?"      

Leon called his sister as soon as they got through the front door. She had started crying hysterically, dropping the phone, and through the background noise, Leon heard her mate speaking in alarm before he picked up the phone. 

They promised to leave in an hour and they hung up. 

Everything was so surreal. 

Upon Darren's diagnosis, they discovered that Leroy had a leg bone fused crookedly, several permanent scars from silver and his system was weak due to wolfsbane. A few of his ribs were severely bruised and his shoulder was slightly fractured, but Darren did what he could, putting Leroy's arm in a sling and distributing pain medication.

Darren strongly advised that Leroy needed rest and that he should take it easy for the following couple of days. West and the other men were briefly checked over, suffering slightly similar injuries yet nothing too serious besides malnourishment, and then they were given rooms in the Alpha's house. 

Although the warriors were vigilant, they were grateful for the men protecting their Alpha's brother, and the roguish men were out like lights once their bedroom doors closed. It was nearly four in the morning before the pack houses were completely quiet and everyone was sleeping besides the patrol team on duty.

As the sun replaced the moon, Leon advised his warriors to remain as quiet as possible. The day was utterly peaceful and he enjoyed a cup of coffee as he watched Reeve disappear into the woods on her morning run. He was tempted to join her but he had a celebration to plan. 

Cassius was overjoyed in Leroy's return and as soon as Leon gathered the pack together to discuss setting up the celebration, Cassius openly volunteered to drive into town and grab the supplies they needed with one of the warriors. 

Leroy and his men slept most of the day, everyone knew that they needed it, and when the six men finally emerged from their rooms it was nearly two in the afternoon. The pack cooks bustled through the kitchen, preparing the side dishes that would go with the main course of baby back ribs, and the warriors helped where they could, carrying salad dishes to the dining hall along with other foods. 

Leon led his brother onto the back porch where they fell into a deep discussion, catching up with each other over the past few years. West and his men awkwardly kept out of everyone's way, but once the hustle settled a little, they found themselves engaging with the pack warriors. 

Everyone was getting to know each other as if they were old friends and Reeve was seen laying outside on the front porch for most of the day. Asher didn't think much of it and Cassius returned with the final supplies they needed. 

They finally had everything prepared when they heard a vehicle pull into the driveway.

It was barely two seconds after the engine killed and the front door was thrown open, slamming against the wall with a vigorous wack. Everyone went silent at the petite young woman standing in the doorway, her sleek golden hair pulled from her face in a pony-tail.