• Chapter Four •

"Are you afraid of change?"         

She stayed seated on the ground as she watched the exchange, waiting for her wounds to heal. She didn't like West, there was something about him that screamed run. He was intimidating, a former Beta, and she had no recollection of ever killing his family; but then again, she'd killed many.  

"You know Leroy?" Leon swallowed, thickly, "Is he alive?" 

West nodded, "We all broke out together."

"He's here?" 

West's eyebrows furrowed, "Yeah, man." 

She watched Leon's muscles circle through tightening and releasing. She felt his anxiety, bleeding into the air, but she could also sense a great joy brewing. He had spent years away from his brother, neither knowing if the other was alive or not, and now they stood in the same forest. She couldn't imagine how that felt.

"Emmett, bring Leroy." West said, his eyes shifting around the forest, "We have to go. They'll be hunting us, and if you guys found us, we don't have much time left." 

"We have jeeps." Leon answered, distantly. 

"Where? How far?" 

West's question was ignored as she sensed him before he came into view, and then it was so quiet that the deaf could hear. Leon's breath faltered. 

A few feet away, leaning against the trunk of the pine for support, a spitting image of Leon stood. She had to blink, looking between the two males to make sure she wasn't hallucinating from blood loss. It was as if someone had set a mirror in front of Leon, and he was staring at himself - a little beat up and dirty - but still nonetheless. 

They'd finally found Leroy. 

She watched with everyone else as the two brothers moved towards each other. They resembled ghosts, drifting over the ground, Leon moving with a stiff step and Leroy a slight gimp; but then they were standing face to face. 

They just stared at each other silently, the silence embracing them, and then Leroy spoke.

"Leo?" 

The dam was broken.

They instantly embraced each other, holding on as if the other would disappear, and then she witnessed two grown men begin to cry. Their tears were salty - bittersweet - the tears of joy that they were alive, and she had to look away from the heartbreaking scene for a brief second.

Leon pulled back, "I'm so sorry, Le. I meant to find you sooner, I really tried." 

"Leo, brother," Leroy breathed, "Little bro. I thought I'd lost you. They came so suddenly, and I didn't know what the hell was going on. I just woke up in a cell in pain."