• Chapter Eighteen •

"What is justice?"      

"I'm sorry." 

Cassius sighed, his green eyes soft, and she felt even more guilty for snapping at him. After the anger drifted, she didn't know what the feel. She had run the woods, consulting with her wolf, until her body begged for air. She wanted to run away. She wanted to run so far away from the waged war that now threatened her. 

But she couldn't. 

What followed her would follow her forever. She could never outrun her destiny. The fate, the redemption. Everything that made her soul. It was like her shadow, bound to her as she was bound to the moon. 

If her pack lost the battle, she knew what would happen. Her life would diminish or her soul would die. Both apparent as the cost of war was always paid in blood. She felt like the world was crashing down on her. Something was finally going right until everything was going wrong. 

In the blink of an eye, her life became dark again. 

Yet, she didn't fall to her primal instincts. She repelled her wolf's desire to chase Simon, she denied her feelings of bloodlust, she refused to run from the sword. She remained true to herself - she didn't hide behind her wolf anymore. 

"Don't be," Cassius drew her from her thoughts, she blinked at him from across the kitchen counter, "I know the feeling. Everyone is scared right now, we're no match for the Conquistador Pack." 

Her stomach felt heavy at his words and she shook her head, "This is my fault. I caused it but I want to fix it." 

"For the last time, it isn't your fault," Cassius' eyes slightly narrowed at her, "If you've already forgotten, we have a history with the Conquistador Pack, too. Somehow they knew we'd found Leroy so they came to check, now they are going to try what they did years ago." 

"They won't  .. succeed," She grit her teeth, "I will find allies, Cassius. Nobody has to die." 

Cassius sighed again, "I know you're trying to help, but what allies? Everyone in America will recognize you. Elijah suggested that we find a home in Canada and Leroy is considering it." 

"So we just run?" She growled, "I won't run ... run all my life. Run from death, run from men. No more running," She paused as a thought came to her mind, "I want to see Beau." 

Cassius sputtered with his coffee, his green eyes widening at her, "What?! Reeve, come on now, don't go crazy on me." He chuckled awkwardly, glancing away from her, but when she didn't waver, he groaned, "You're serious, aren't you?" 

"Told you, Beau isn't bad," She said, "He might know allies." 

"Reeve," Cassius gasped, his tone scolding, "What the hell is going on with you? Seeking information from the enemy? That's absurd. Plus, it isn't something I would do so you can't do it either."