• Chapter Twenty •

"Is there calm before the storm?"      

She ducked, the rush of air over her head telling her how close Elijah was to striking her. 

"Come on, Reeve," Elijah said, out of breath, "Step up your game." 

Leroy had finally let her begin training with the warriors. Everyone was training. They had two days left, two days to prepare themselves for war. But at least this time they had hope. The Radburn Alpha agreed to fight for them and well over a hundred of the wildest warriors now resided in Aloysius Pack. 

It was the calm before the storm. 

She danced on her toes, her fists readied to strike at Elijah as they circled each other. They had been training relentlessly for the past three hours. They fought hand in hand combat and in their wolves form. It was easy for her to pin Elijah with Sekhet's help, it was second nature, but her weakness laid in her human side. 

She hadn't fought as a human for many years and although her mind knew all the right moves, her body had to be trained to respond. Elijah was patient but every now again he'd strike dangerously close, warning her to move quicker. 

It killed her but she didn't quit. 

Her body was drenched in sweat and she was panting but her keen eyes didn't leave Elijah as he made another move to hit her. She quickly danced to the right, ducking her head, and threw a left hook in retaliation. Elijah grunted and she smirked in victory. 

She was learning. 

Elijah was clearly as tired as she but he still moved with lightning accuracy and it drove her to try harder. She pushed herself to her human limits, strived to become better. She had to. She had to be prepared for the worst, ready to fight with every skill she possessed. 

It was all or nothing. 

She thought she was doing pretty good. Within another hour, she landed eleven more hits on Elijah but he got almost twice the amount on her. She didn't let it dishearten her though. Sekhet was quiet in her mind, seemingly understanding her desire to achieve this training on her own. 

Suddenly, she saw Elijah's guard slip and she went to land an uppercut. Little did she know, Elijah was playing with her, as he always did. He quickly ducked her attack and before she could blink a sharp pain blossomed across her face. 

She stumbled backwards but kept her hands up, shaking her head to clear her vision, only Elijah didn't pursue her. The Enforcer stood back, his face was stunned, and then he shook his head. 

"I didn't mean to catch you in the face, I thought for sure you'd dodge it." 

"I'm fine," She danced again, "Lets keep going."