• Chapter Fourteen •

"What is a being's definition?"       

She stood in the kitchen, whisking a bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough. Although she never remembered baking, once Cassius convinced her to try it, she felt at ease in the kitchen. As if she loved doing it previously. 

A low music played in the background but it was suddenly turned up and she turned to watch Cassius slide across the floor on his knees, pretending to jam with an imaginary guitar. She grinned, amused by his childish antics, and then that grin widened as Cassius got up and started dancing - whilst pulling ingredients from the cupboards. 

"Come on, Reeve, dance with me!" Cassius sang.

She shook her head with a small smile, "I don't .. dance." 

"Chicken." 

She quickly swatted his hand away from the bowl as he took her distraction as an opportunity to steal raw cookie dough, and then she turned to face him with a raised eyebrow. 

He immediately chuckled at her expression, "Okay, fine. No stealing dough, got it." 

She rolled her eyes and returned to whisking the dough. Sometimes she wondered how she even let the Gamma sweet talk her into things - but she really couldn't deny that she was having fun. The art of making delicious sweets was rewarding. 

After the ceremony, she had second thoughts about not letting Leon initiate her into the pack. When he'd first asked, she responded out of fear. She tried to bypass it but once the day came, she concluded that she wasn't ready. She was bound to the pack by heart, but her blood did not seal the connection. 

Leroy executed the Alpha position like it was child's play. He was a bit sterner than Leon, but she had grown to accept Leroy as her Alpha, too. She couldn't defy a true alpha, they were natural to their rank, and she wasn't sure where her rank was. 

She wanted to belong to the warriors but she had the dominance of an alpha. 

Deikota and Jasper had returned to their pack shortly after the ceremony, and she couldn't deny that she slightly missed Deikota's bubbly personality. Regardless, Deikota was a spitfire that matched her own defiance. She still had yet to learn what happened between Deikota and West - as the two practically glared at each other. 

She was pulled from her thoughts when Cassius gave a shout of surprise, and then she watched in slow motion as the Gamma slipped. The bag of flour in his hands went flying in the air as he hit the floor and the escaped contents thoroughly coated the Gamma in white; the empty bag settling on the floor beside him.

A noise rumbled in the depths of her chest, and then they escaped her mouth before she could stop them; the first time she'd laughed since before the abuse. Cassius slowly raised his head with a well settled frown but his eyes glowed with laughter.