DON'T NO 7: Poor Character Representation

Now this is quite similar to DON'T NO 5: LGBTQ+ Representation.

But I have to include this because it covers a great deal of other topics as well. And trust me, it is H-U-G-E.

It is great that young authors nowadays want to bring diversity into their stories and also make it an acceptable read for all kinds of audience. And that is exactly why they include a lot of characters trying to represent people from normal everyday lives and making a certain story relatable to all.

But then, some succeed in this diverse portrayal while some are faced with epic fails.

Like I discussed earlier, stereotypes do exist but including too many of them doesn't make your work diverse whatsoever. But that doesn't mean you have to forget about them altogether. I just meant that don't include too much of them. We have all had enough of the tattooed bad boy and the nerd with glasses (or maybe I'm the only one who thinks that).

It's kinda understandable why people refer to stereotypes for guidelines, because I know it is difficult to write about something you have no affiliation with but there are a few tips to follow if you plan on writing in such a way.

POC Representation:

POC representation is the best thing to ever happen to the literary world. People who are not European and not white are also getting stories about them being published and it is downright a good thing.

But the problem seeps in when it comes to their representation in books/movies/fanfics etc.

I am stating a few points which you should take care of when writing a POC character.

1. Arab characters:

Not all Arabs are barbarians who live in the deserts and ride camels.

Arabs are not backward.

Not all of them are sexist misogynists.

Not all of them are strongly prejudiced against freedom and women rights.

If your character is an Arab and studies at Hogwarts or teaches there, then he/she isn't necessarily going to be socially backward or conservative.

2. Hispanic Characters:

Hispanics/Latin people constitute one of the biggest minorities in America. And as such they are often used as side characters (sometimes as main roles) in fiction/fanfiction.

But they are always portrayed in the same way.

Male Latinos seldom exist while the female Latinas are considered as erotic sensual vamps who work as bar maids or strippers. Or if we are talking about HP fanfiction, they can get their role in the form of a super hot yet crazy ex-girlfriend of some main character who exists only because she has to wreak havoc in his life as well as whoever OC he is in love with.

Point to be noted... Not all of them are like that.

This is not a cookie cutter generation where each person from a specific race/country/religion is going to be an exact replica of one another.

3. Native Americans:

Only one tiny misunderstanding to clear:

THIS IS 2018, HOW CAN NATIVE AMERICANS STILL BE WAR LIKE JUNGLE PEOPLE WHO WEAR WAR PAINT ALL THE TIME AND DO NOT KNOW HOW TO COMMUNICATE?

And they do not hunt for food like they used to previously. They, just like you, can go to a dine out restaurant if food's not cooked at home.

4. Asian Representation (Far East):