* Creating Scenes

While writing a story, scenes are one major part on which you have to do a lot of thinking.

If you create an outline for the story before you write it out, you have a clear idea on how the story begins, what happens in the middle and how it would end.

And because you have thought out the Beginning, the Middle and the End, all that remains is to think out the scenes that will connect these three main features of your story.

Trust me, it is not as easy as I have just written.

A scene is something which connects parts of your story and is really important to move your story forward. Keep in mind that each scene you write should serve a purpose as well or else it will only make readers bored and click out of your book to find a new one.

For instance, you are writing a fight scene. Like, it's the First Wizarding War and everything is full of panic, anxiety and frustration. Voldemort is on the peak of his anger and wants to finish anyone who stands in his way. Literally, all the scene spells KILL, KILL, KILL. But all of a sudden, the author shows that James Potter has crept out to warn the love of his life to run and hide and go somewhere safe (not Lily, I'm talking about an OC) and hastily confesses his undying love for her and then they get to share a moment or two where the writer gets carried away with the emotional aspects of the scene and it seems like the whole universe stopped and the clocks became out of order just to let the two helpless lovebirds confess their love to each other and strengthen their vows etc etc.

Honestly speaking, please refrain from doing that.

Even though the scene itself may be very emotional and likely to get readers all sentimental searching for tissue boxes to wipe tears and all, but including such a scene while a fight is going on is highly unrealistic.

Adding such scenes in the story disrupts the theme of the previous and the upcoming scene and as I mentioned earlier, all the scenes have to connect with each other and also serve a purpose.

Anyhow... Getting on with the real stuff for which I planned to write this chapter...

There are about 13 main types of scenes. Or rather, 13 scenes you normally see in a good story.

1. Establishing Scene:

Also known as the opening scene, this is the first thing your reader comes to contact with in the story. The establishing scene is usually the starting scene of the story in which a good writer reveals the tone, time and theme of the story.

In easier words, this is the scene which establishes in your reader's mind what is to be expected from the story.

Remember, that you have to write a hooking opening scene so as to captivate your reader into the story completely. If you succeed in getting your reader's attention from the start, then it is one big achievement.

I am mentioning below the opening scene from Sweet Vengeance from which I might have used a few of my earlier examples too, a mystery/thriller novel by Angelily2015

It revolves around the life of Lysander Smith, a skilled target killer and focuses on his life. Questions like how he became a target killer, why, what would happen to him, will he have to face consequences, how will his story end etc are focused on throughout the story.

Even though it is not a Harry Potter story, still it's opening scene has all the elements of a captivating establishing scene.

[And don't worry, I have the author's permission to use her book as an example. If you like, you can check her out but don't think of it as a compulsory advertisement].