Stay Motivated

Warning: This is a long pep talk plus argument. If you think you're wasting your time by being here, then I can understand. But if you're feeling down at the moment because of the way you write and other people don't appreciate it, then this might be the thing for you.

***

If there's one thing about Wattpad I don't like; it's people who think they have the right to go and ruin people's lives by commenting awful things and spewing hate on other people's books.

However this chapter is not for me to write about how much awful these haters are and how they should stop doing what they are doing just to seek attention. No I am not doing that because such chapters have been written before. 

So instead of addressing this chapter to those attention seeking people, it is addressed to all you wonderful authors out there who suffer the plague of such haters.

To any of you who's feeling down at the moment.

I know it must feel horrible to find someone hating on you or your book, when really you have put so much effort into creating each of your stories, the plots, the characters and every little detail that constitutes a book.

It's like you plant a seed and watch it grow day by day and smile as the beautiful flowers sprout out but the neighbor's dog ruins them right in front of your eyes.

Now you might be thinking I am getting a lot dramatic, but trust me when you put so much effort into books like I have seen many talented authors do so at Wattpad, then it hurts real bad to find someone hating on it with such a passion that is often found in these people who have created hate accounts.

Of course, you will find a lot of advice here saying that you should just ignore them and not give a flying crap about what they say but in reality it's easier said than done.

However, I am not going to give you any advice on ignoring the haters. What I am saying is that you have to stay motivated. Just because a person commented that your book is shit doesn't mean that it is. I know that when there is one comment degrading your book and a hundred more appreciating it, authors tend to dwell more on the comment which points out the flaws and states that the book is boring.

Human beings are naturally pessimistic and that is why instead of acknowledging the hundred compliments, people feel downcast because of one awful comment.

But you know what, that's exactly what life is: You can not please everyone. Therefore you should stop trying to please everyone.

Wattpad is a site where people write because they want to, because they have a story to share. Not because they want other people demanding them to write. Most authors I know here just started off writing for fun and even though today they are very popular among readers, still they do their own thing.

They still write for fun.

I can understand that once you write a book for the fun of it but then notice that people are reading it and liking it and appreciating you, you feel happier and naturally want to keep those readers pleased. Then there come a few comments letting you know that your book is crap and you lose all the inspiration to write. You feel bad because of those comments, you lose your self confidence and you are no longer motivated to continue.

But you should keep in mind that you are writing because you want to. Not because you're pressured to write for other people. Since writing a story is your own decision, you should just write for the sake of it. Not for the sake of seeing more reads, votes and comments.

It is good to hope for a lot of success but it is better to know deep down that you write because it makes you happy. What matters most is your contentment and your satisfaction.

I value my reader's opinions a lot, I take their suggestions into consideration but I won't necessarily write everything in the way they want me to write. If someone comes up to me saying "Hi I noticed you're a Harry Potter fanfic writer and I'm fond of everything related to the Potterverse but you know what your writing style is not exactly up to the standards the original book is written." OR "J.K Rowling would never approve of something like that." OR "This is not how the actual books go."

Then you know what, I am politely going to ask the person to f*ck off and read J.K Rowling for all I care. If you're so pleased with the magnificent way Miss Rowling writes and just want everything to be in that specific writing style as well then what are you doing here reading fanfiction?

Fanfiction means it is written by fans so how can they possess the same brilliant writing style Miss Rowling has? Why would they write the whole series down just with the addition of one or two characters? Why would they refrain from making a difference?

Fanfiction is not necessarily a copy paste of the original books so if you don't want to read it then seriously move on and let us all be in peace.

Just to clear it up, I wrote this book for helping authors. I state my opinion but I am not forcing any of you to follow it. If my opinion is helpful to you, well and good. If you believe you can do better yourself, that's excellent. I am not a published author myself so I research tips from the internet sometimes and other times share those which helped me.

I have seen people leaving lovely comments on this book such as why do I read cliches when I don't like it and that I should just not read such stuff if I have to hate on it. But you know what, I have stated a hundred times that it is not a hate book but a help book. Still if some people don't want to take the hint, then I wish they stay happy in believing what they want to about this book. It's not like it is going to affect me in any way possible.  

And to all you wonderful people who are writing here on Wattpad, you all are very talented and you should accept it instead of dwelling on what a few random people think about your book. There are so many others who love reading it and more so you enjoy when you write so you should just focus on yourself. You don't have to make others happy, you don't have to write up to anyone's standards. What matters most is your own self.

So stay motivated for your own sake and shove every negative thing people say about you or your books into the dustbin.

You know you are great and nothing the haters say is going to get you down.

***

Also I made a JILY sketch today.