DON'T NO 21: Lack Of Realistic Approach

In the never ending list of the Don'ts of writing, this can be considered as the most annoying (for me at least) and yet ever persistent one around.

Lack of Realistic Approach or in simple words, an unrealistic concept/story/scene/reaction etc, is a major let down of writing fiction be it an original one or a fandom associated one.

Now what would you really call a realistic approach? Let's focus on it a bit closely.

Being realistic does not necessarily mean writing about real life and real people going through their normal everyday routines. Being realistic means to write your story in a manner that people can relate to and which is considered as a quite believable action by most. This logic applies nearly in all genres except Fantasy, Horror and AUs.

Nowadays, writers focus on a lot other stuff such as love interests, addictions, disorders etc etc instead of giving a believable touch to the story. And as it continues, their writing turns to flow out of track and edges more towards the bizarre cliff of nonsense literature (I mean come on you are not writing an Alice In Wonderland story, you're writing a fanfiction on a specific fandom like HP which does not categorize in the Nonsense genre).

And yet the point is that most readers do not usually notice it. This is what bothers me most that if an author has included a scene in a particular chapter which is completely out of the blue and unrealistic, still readers are going all oohing and aahing over it and a thousand emojis are visible straight up in the comments sections.

I know what you all are thinking right now. Yup, I know you're thinking that if readers don't even bother about this then why am I wasting my time (along with yours as well) and churning out a seemingly unnecessary chapter?

Well because this book isn't here to just tell you what readers want you to put in a book but also to tell you what should go in a book.

***

For example, let's take up a very common scene that exists in every single fanfic on Wattpad. Every single one of them. The only difference is that it is very seldom portrayed correctly.

I'm talking about the scene in which a Vampire/Werewolf etc confesses to his/her lover that he/she is Supernatural. Or in Harry Potter fanfic's case the he/she is a Death Eater and completely on Voldy's side. Or a he's a werewolf and he didn't tell him/her before because he was afraid that he/she would think of him as a monster and abandon him.

Now if you take a look at this scene, the Vampire/Werewolf/Death Eater tells the truth, the lover is shocked but accepts it almost immediately promising the girl/boyfriend that everything's gonna be okay and that they will be together no matter what.

Such a scene takes place as a climax (turning point) in the story, usually after a tragedy or some emotional crises so obviously the characters are bound to be tense. But soon as the confession is made, eyes widen a bit but then a kind smile breaks onto the human's face as he/she quickly accepts the truth.

Draco: But I can't let anything happen to you! I won't be able to forgive myself if you came to any harm because of me.

Girlfriend: Hey, hey... That's okay. I will be alright as long as you are with me.

Draco: But I'm a Death Eater. I... I am dangerous to you. I'm a threat to you and your loved ones.

Girlfriend: Look into my eyes, Draco. The only thing that matters is that you and I both love each other. And nothing in the world can stop it. Nothing can stop us being together. No matter what you are, I'm always gonna be by your side.

Aaaawwww, that's so sweet, they are such a beautiful couple!

(Note the sarcasm dripping from each word).