REVIEW NO 31

The book we are going to review today is Screams by live_life_with_books

Now first these are the basics.

Book Name: Screams

Author's account name: live_life_with_books

Main Characters: Calliope Doge, Natalie Hughes, Fred and George Weasley, Isaac Doge, Elphias Doge, Remus Lupin and a few others.

Description:

Calliope Doge doesn't speak. This is a fact that the entirety of Hogwarts knows full well.

She doesn't answer the questions that teachers ask in lessons, she doesn't speak to people over dinner in the great hall and she does not speak to people at weekends.

No one knows the reasoning behind Calliope's silence, no one knows the guilt that she carries with her every day.

Because the reason Calliope Doge does not speak is that her voice has power. The power to kill. Just like it killed her father.

'Calliope's head felt like it was about to explode-she sat bolt right up in bed and let out a loud, ear-splitting, soul-shaking scream that seemed to penetrate every inch of the castle.'

Chapter Count: 43 and Completed.

***

Now let's get on with the review!

***

1. The Title:

The title refers to the main theme of this fanfic, hence it's a great choice.

2. The Cover:

I love the cover. It is simple but eye catching and I love the graphic effect over the background picture.

3. Concept:

The story is based on Calliope Doge, a Hufflepuff student and grand daughter of Elphias Doge. She is a half banshee and the story explores her life and the tribulations that come along with it.

4. Review (includes Summary too):

The story starts with a prologue in which we are shown Calliope's father Isaac Doge's death, which seemed to be a result of a banshee scream. Calliope was then taken in by her grandfather but she refused to speak because she was afraid that if she did, it would only end up hurting others. She starts going to Hogwarts after Dumbledore assures Elphias that necessary precautions will be taken for her, but the fear of hurting others through her voice didn't leave her and thus she chose not to speak even then. Since she was repressing her natural self, it caused problems for her as well as the people around as her banshee traits would sometimes spiral out of control due to all the suppression. 

What I think:

The concept is very unique and I enjoyed reading Screams a lot. The author has justified the reasons for Calliope's speechlessness and her fears regarding people who surround her. The mental conflict of a child who has to live under the guilt of her father's death and constantly fearing the outcomes of having her voice leashed out is portrayed effectively. I have only read a few chapters for now but I am sure this fanfic is worth reading.

***

If you are looking for a story that explores the possibilities of a half Banshee attending Hogwarts, then this is the fanfic for you.

***

live_life_with_books I had reviewed your fanfic Venus before, and let me tell you, your writing has improved a lot in this one. Screams is written really well and the way you have explored and built Calliope's character is worth appreciating. It was great reading another of your fanfics and was totally worth it. Best of luck and keep writing in this wonderful style of yours!

 Best of luck and keep writing in this wonderful style of yours!