The Tattooist Of Azkaban

If you're wondering why I swapped the word Prisoner with Tattooist then wonder no more.

This chapter is not based on the infamous Sirius Black, but on the anonymous and mysterious Tattooist who gave the movie Sirius all his prison tattoos.

Okay, first of all, let's have a big round of applause for this entity who pretty much didn't exist in both books and movies alike. Like come on, have you seen those tattoos? They must have taken so much time and effort. And yet the poor guy doesn't even get a decent mention.

When I first saw Prisoner of Azkaban (the film) I hadn't thought much about Sirius's version in it. Like yeah he's a convicted criminal on the loose who is looking for the Chosen One etc etc. At that time, his character design seemed appropriate for someone who had broken out of prison and was in hiding; sunken eyes, long matted hair, ragged clothes and rather intimidating tattoos. 

But now when I look back at it, I feel as if the whole tattoo part was just an extra addition which wasn't really necessary to the character design at all.

I mean, the only reason I can comprehend from it is that they (the filmmakers) used tattoos to just portray Sirius in a stereotypical prison escapee manner. Like you know how in modern literature, all the bad boys have tattoos, the daredevils sport them and so do known criminals, gang leaders etc. So basically, Sirius's set of tattoos was just to fit him in a cinematic stereotype which, as I have mentioned earlier, was absolutely unnecessary.

And yet the other kinda funny aspect of this whole scenario is the ultimate question; how did Sirius get all those tattoos?

Or in other words, who was the anonymous Tattooist of Azkaban?

As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong) in Azkaban prisoners were kept in separate cells so there could be no way that some other prisoner who knew the art of tattoos could engrave such an intricate set of patterns on to Sirius. [Keep in mind that we are ignoring the more logical fact of the unavailability of ink and needles that are needed to create a tattoo, just for the sake of carrying the conversation forward].

And since the above mentioned outcome is simply not possible, there arises an even weirder thought...

What if the tattooist was a Dementor?

Only Dementors could glide in and out through the bars of Siri's cell since he was a high security prisoner. So what if Sirius's prison tattoos were the result of a Dementor's expertise?

I had been laughing straight for a few minutes when I had struck upon this point.

Like can you imagine a Dementor using it's ghastly nails to engrave a tattoo on the skin of a high security prisoner? And just what would be the payment of the services provided by the Dementor: One Tattoo in exchange for a tiny bit of the Prisoner's Soul; no kissing, guaranteed.

The more I think about this, the weirder yet funnier it gets. Imagine a tattoo booth in Azkaban with prisoners lining up to get their personalized set of tattoos. It could be sort of a recreational activity at Azkaban, just like other prisons have book reading activities or other profession oriented tasks that are used to resolve the stress and tension among prisoners.

***

There should have been more to this chapter but it was 2 am at night when I was writing this (which is usually the time I get insane ideas) so I fell asleep in the middle of it and now I don't know what I was going to write next. And since I'm really lazy and forgetful, I'm ending this right here.

But seriously, let me know what you think about the Tattooist of Azkaban. I would love to hear your theories or opinions on it.

And last but definitely not least; have a great day!