REVIEW NO 3

The book we are going to review today is Black Dogs by Soul_of_Moonlight

Now first these are the basics.

Book Name: Black Dogs

Author's account name: Soul_of_Moonlight

Main Characters: Sirius Black, Azka Azha Black, Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew plus a few others.

Description:

"How are you? Look this may sound hard to believe but this is important. I need you take care of my daughter for me, our daughter. I cannot explain why I need you to take care of her for me or, why I did not tell you about her in the first place. Please, take care of her for me, for us."

She lived her whole life in a place of depression and fear. Raised by a supposed mass murderer, never seeing the outside world once until the day everything changed.

She didn't have a clue who she was or where she belonged.

Slowly, she gained a family, one that grew larger by the day. And for once, she thought nothing could bring her down.

But life plays by its own rules.

Meet Azka Azha Black, daughter of Sirius Black, and her fight for survival.

Chapter Count: 11 and ongoing.

***

Now let's get on with the review!

***

1. The Title:

The title's good when you take in the context that it is about two animagi (one Sirius and the other his daughter who is surprisingly a natural animagus) who turn into black dogs.

2. The Cover:

The cover is a little too childish and simple. It would have done fine if the story was from Azka's perspective and the cover would have been a drawing she made of her and her father but as it isn't specified I think the author should pay a little more attention to it and improve it.

3. Concept:

The story is based upon Sirius Black's daughter Azka. I have read a few Sirius's daughter fanfics on Wattpad but this is unique and I have not seen any other fanfic like it because Sirius smuggles his daughter into Azkaban where she lives with him disguised as a puppy when the Dementors come.

4. Review (includes Summary too):

A while before James and Lily's death Sirius receives a letter and a bundle of blankets in which there happen to be a small black puppy. The letter is stated in the description as well and basically is a request to Sirius for taking care of his daughter. The author has not specified who wrote the letter but it seems like Sirius knew the writer anyway and accepts the little puppy animagus who turns into a baby immediately.

Before Sirius could introduce his daughter to his friends, the whole Halloween accident happens and Sirius is sent to Azkaban. His daughter goes along with him disguised as a puppy in his jacket. Since then Azka lived with her father in Azkaban.

The fanfic proceeds on to Sirius's escape and he leaves Azka with Remus so he could ake care of the girl as Sirius himself has to stay on the run. Azka, who knew all the account of what actually happened to the Potters and who was to blame for it, lets Remus know everything.

The father daughter moments between Azka and Sirius are well written, the mental development of a child living in such drastic conditions is well portrayed and overall I liked the story.

What I think:

I loved Azka and Sirius's bond. Also the fact that the author has shown a child responding to her drastic surroundings and he way she makes the best use of everything is brilliant. I must say that I loved the fact that it was shown how undernourishment and living in Azkaban affected Azka's growth and health because some people tend to ignore showing such details.

And it was great to find a fanfic which showed how Sirius coped with the Dementors in Azkaban. His reason for not breaking in front of the dementors for the sake of his daughter is strong enough and all in all I loved it.

***

If you are looking for a story that shows Sirius differently than you are accustomed to see him as then this is the book for you.

***

Soul_of_Moonlight I loved reading Black Dogs. It requires just a few edits such as elaborate more on who sent the letter and how Sirius immediately accepts that the baby that came with the letter is his daughter. Also show us why and how Azka is a natural animagus.

Other than that the fanfic is great and I look forward to reading more of it.