He Let Go

Julie's pov:

I stare wide eyed as Ashton's locks my hand with his keeping me close while he glares at the man standing before him. "Dad what are you doing here?"

Ashton's dad starts to move closer, walking down the stairs.

Me and Ashton stand completely still until he reaches the bottom step.

He stops and looks at Ashton, then me, and then our hands.

"You didn't come home last night, your mother was worried sick." He says.

"And you?" Ashton's voice came out rough and strained.

"You had no right to just drive away from your father." He says taking a step closer.

Again, Ashton doesn't move backward nor forward. He keeps his place like a lion protecting its territory.

"Some father you are."

"I did not just drive all the way out here for you to speak to me like that."

"Well good job! You found me, want a medal?" Ashton says rolling his eyes at his father.

"Do not use that tone with me!! I am taking you home and you're never coming to this place again. You can say goodbye to boxing because I refuse to have a son-.."

"Do you not remember?! I am no son of yours." Ashton seethes, lightly pulling my hand to try and walk away.

I stand still though.

Ashton can't keep running away from his father forever.

Whatever happened to Ashton and his father many years ago needs to end.

Whether it be for the greater good or bad, he can't stop running away from his problems, and pretending like everything is okay when it's not.

Ashton looks at me pleadingly, wanting to leave.

I almost give in, but I go against it.

Under his dads stare, Ashton whispers to me. "What are you doing?" Not harshly, but in a rushed tone.

"Please, just finish this with your father Ashton. Make a choice." I whisper back at him.

Whether he decides to follow his dads rule, or break away, I will support him either way.

Because.... I love Ashton.

And I don't want to watch him fight with himself any longer.

I just hope he understands.

Ashton is hesitant for a second, looking at me.

I almost get a sense of doubt, until he nods his head.

I squeeze his hand as he looks back at his father.

"I'm done. I don't want to do this anymore." His voice was a new kind of confident.

He wasn't going to get pushed around by him anymore.

He needed to let go.

"Done with what?" His dad questions taking another step forward.

At this, Ashton let's go of my hand.