eight

"Willow? Willow Dawson?" The doctor called from the small white room.

I got up from the uncomfortable waiting room chairs with my parents and we made our way to the doctors room.

"Welcome, take a seat!" The doctor cheered.

This was Dr. Connolly. She's been with me since I was first diagnosed. She was young enough. Maybe early thirties and she sure didn't look it. She was very pleasant and always tried her best at each job she had to do. If she passed you on the street she'd be sure to stop and ask how you are. She's just kind natured like that and passionate about her job.

"Okay guys, so I have some good news and I have some bad news" Dr. Connolly began.

"Which would you like first?" She asked.

"The good news" I answered straight out.

"Okay well your scan shows that the cancer has not spread and it is reducing in your bones, which means the treatment is working. Now we can't say that this will continue because one day you could come in and it could be after spreading to different bones. But for now, this is fantastic news!" Dr. Connolly explained.

I smiled while my parents hugged each other. I think they feared the bad news. So did I.

"And the bad news?" My father asked.

"Well, since the cancer it still only at stage three we don't want it to move to stage four. This means that Willow will have to undergo more intense radiotherapy along with her usual chemotherapy sessions. Now, did is a decision to be made by the three of you and the hospital will be right behind your decision. We all only want what's best for Willow and this treatment has its ups and downs." Dr. Connolly said.

"What do you mean by ups and downs?" I questioned.

"Well, as it is more intense it has better power over the cancer and reduce the cancer cells in hundreds. Therefore many of you cells will be battling at the same time and you will feel weak and sick a lot as your cell count is low. It will be the same kind of sickness you feel after your treatment that you're getting at the moment but it will be way worse. Sometimes you might have to stay in hospital if its that bad, and that's also one of the downs. You're a teenager, you want to be out spending time with boys not stuck in hospital!" I thought of Luke when she said that. He wanted to hang out soon. I can't believe someone of the other gender actually wants to hang out with me. He's so gorgeous and kind. Wait! He only asked me to hang out after he found out about my leukaemia. He better not take pity on me.

I heard my name being called so I snapped out of my daydream and looked up.

"Sorry?" I said feeling embarrassed.

"You're free to go home, but please have a think about your decision before making it for good. You're parents will help you decide and you know I'm always here if you want to talk" Dr. Connolly said sweetly.

I thanked her and my parents and I left so I could sign out of the hospital. We signed several signatures and wrote plenty of numbers. We were finally able to leave now.

"Hey Willow!?" My dad asked enthusiastically.

"Yeah?" I answered.

"Want to go get some McDonald's!?"

I smiled at him knowing he knew how much I love getting McDonald's after coming out of hospital.

I know this sounds cliché but I am so grateful for my family and friends. Nathan and Amelia and of course Michael, Luke, Calum, Ashton and Aoife. Some people in this world are cruel but I'm lucky that I spend time with the nice ones.

Don't waste time where you feel you're not needed.

** short but important.