2. I'll See You Around

t w o

"MAY I PLEASE KNOW WHERE Corbyn Besson and Christina Marie Harris are staying?" I ask the doorman eagerly. Yesterday night, I decided I'd try to meet everyone soon.

"Well, it's Christina Besson, and no. I'm not allowed to give any private information," the young doorman says. "Sorry."

"It's no problem," I sigh.

"What's your name?" He asks.

"Amber," I answer skeptically.

"Simon. Or just Si for short," he says with a small chuckle.

"Well, Si, I'll see you around," I say with a kind smile as I head out the door.

HE'S CUTE! My brain shouts as soon as I walk out.

I roll my eyes at my thoughts and don't even realize where I'm walking until I come into contact with someone's chest.

"I'm so sorry!" I apologize. "I wasn't looking where I was—wait, Daniel?"

"Amber? It's been so long since I've seen you face-to-face!" Daniel says, giving me a hug.

"You have no idea how many times I've heard that since yesterday morning," I say with a chuckle.

"Oh, you met someone else from the group?" He asks.

"Yeah, Jonah and Lavender," I say, spitting the name out like it's poison.

"I was annoyed about that, too," he admits. "But this is Quinn," he introduces the short blonde next to him.

"Hi! I'm Quinn as Daniel introduced me before. You're the infamous Amber," she says with a cute chuckle. "I've heard so much about what you guys did in senior year."

"I guess I did get famous in a way," I say with a chuckle. It was so hard to keep being reminded of how much I've failed. I had dreams of being what my friends have become. I'm just the loser in the background. The one that never changed the world. The one that will never mean anything to anyone.

"Well, it was very nice to meet you, but we have plans," Daniel says. "I'll take you to meet the rest of them soon. You have my number, right?"

"Yeah," I answer.

"Let me give you mine, too," Quinn says, holding her hand out for my phone. I give it to her and she quickly enters her number. "It was so nice to meet you, Amber. I hope we become good friends!"

"The feeling is mutual. I'm not even being sarcastic!" I call after them with a chuckle. Quinn does seem really nice. Truly. But maybe a little too nice. I know it's not really a problem, but I always have problems with very nice people.

I sigh and walk around the city, thinking about what I'll do here. Kara already has me hooked up with a company that will sign me if they like me, but I feel kind of incomplete. I don't have any friends and it's a big city. I guess I would describe this feeling as helplessness or loneliness.

As I roam the city, I think about my past.

I think about Jonah.

I think about our first kiss.

"Just watch me," I say with a smirk before turning to my side and grabbing the first face I can and placing my lips squarely on theirs.

It takes a second before I realize that it's Jonah and he gets over his shock and kisses back. I feel like smiling but know not to because it would give too much away. We stay like that for a few seconds, his face cupped in my hands and our lips connected before we pull away.

"I kissed him, we're not a couple," I say, pointing at me and Jonah.

I notice everyone's shocked faces and resist the urge to run away.

"Fine!" Callie reluctantly admits before walking off, the click clack of her heels retreating like music to my ears.

I'm suddenly back to reality...
A reality which I kissed Jonah...
And I didn't hate it...
I actually liked it.
I messed up.

"So Amber," Jack says, smirking.

A chuckle escapes my mouth as I remember Jack's expression.

I reminisce about mine and Jonah's talk during the dance.

"Tell me about yourself, I don't know that much about you," I say abruptly.

"Umm, okay. My name is Jonah Marais Roth Frantzich, I like dogs, and I'm in love with a certain brunette who changed my world," he says, causing me to blush.

"I'm Amber Thompson, I love dogs and chocolate, and my world has changed since I came here. I want to believe it was for the better," I say with a smile.

"Well, was this better?" He asks, grazing his lips on mine.

I remember the day my father left us because he was a cheating bastard.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" A voice shouts from behind my dad. Jonah holds my hand to reassure me as I start to worry.

"What do you mean?" He asks, turning around.

"I mean, get the hell out of my house, Raymond. I told you this last night!" She exclaims, pointing to the door.

"Your house?" My dad questions, walking towards her as Jonah and I share a worried look. "I'm sorry, but all I see you doing is sitting on your ass."

"Excuse me?!" I exclaim. "At least she's their for her children, something you haven't been able to do. She's the best mom I could ask for, you aren't the best dad I could ask for though."

"Tell me, who makes the money?" He asks, arching his eyebrow. "You think I like being out all day."

"With Lauren?" My mom whimpers.

"What?" My dad asks, tensing up.

I never got over that day. I mean sure, I healed in a way, but I never stopped hating him. If I had a do-over for that day, I would've punched him. He fucked up my little brother's chance at growing up with a father who cared. He made me feel sad in so many kinds of ways. Sometime he used to come by the house. It never went well. And he was never sober either. He'd just walk in the house and start screaming. Occasionally, he would even hit me or my mom. But one day, he hit Lucas. That was the last time he came by. He always said I was strong. I decided to show him some of that strength.

The day passes by and I walk back to the penthouse.

"Hey, Amber," Simon chirps from behind the counter.

"Hey, Simon," I say. "By the way, you can call me 'Bambi' for short, if you want."

"I'll take you up on that offer, Bambi," he says with a chuckle. I smile gratefully at his kind manner as the elevator doors close between us.

I got a little lazy with this chapter, I'll admit. I mainly just took parts from the prequel. But don't worry, this is character development. I'm setting something up.
I hope you enjoyed! Vote and comment! I love you guys. Until next time, au revoir my Hopeless Romantics.

Q. What pattern did you notice in all the memories? Who was always there beside her?