6. You Will Accept Me As Your Queen

s i x

I QUICKLY CHANGE AND RUSH downstairs. My excitement can not be contained. I've been waiting for this opportunity for years. I've watched Lucas land his first girlfriend before I got this. I've seen all my friends achieve my dreams. It's time for me to achieve mine.

"Hey, Simon!" I chirp.

"What's up?" He asks. "You seem happy."

"That's because I am being signed to a label today," I say with a sigh, resting my head on his shoulder. I gesture in front of us, waving my hands wildly. "Soon you'll see me on billboards, perfume ads, soda bottles, clothes, everywhere. You may laugh now, but tomorrow, you will accept me as your queen."

"My queen," he says with a chuckle, bowing to me.

"Thank you," I say with a teasing smile on my face. The elevator doors chime open.

"Look, I know it's a little soon, but do you maybe wanna go out?" He asks shyly, rubbing his hand on his neck.

"I hereby dub thee the person first in line for king," I say with a goofy smile on my face. I didn't notice Jonah and Kara watching us from the elevator doors.

"So it's a yes?" Simon asks uncertainly.

"Yeah," I nod, giving him a quick hug. I turn around to find Kara cheering me on silently and Jonah staring coldly. "Let's go." We start walking out and to the subway. Kara is beaming while Jonah is just focusing on the ground in front of him. It almost seems like he's chanting in his head, "left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right." I'm confused, but I don't ask him. I'm too happy.

[]

"Hi, I'm Amber Thompson," I introduce myself to the person at the front desk. "I was recently signed."

"Ohh, you're the one," she says, looking me up and down. "Head on up to Mrs. Lodge."

I arch my eyebrows at her comment but head over to the elevator with Jonah and Kara at my side.

"Are you excited?!" Kara squeals inside the elevator.

"Yeah, yeah I am. Things are finally looking up for me," I say with a smile.

"What do you mean?" Jonah asks quietly.

"Well, after the whole thing with my father and after high school, life has been kinda shitty," I say sadly. "I haven't been able to catch a break, and my dad wasn't very... calm about it."

"Oh. That's what you mean," he says softly in realization.

The elevator doors chime open and we walk into an office with a beautiful view.

"Good morning, I'm Mrs. Lodge," a tired woman says from her desk. "Who are you?"

"Amber Thompson," I say.

"You are getting signed today. Here are the papers, read them and sign them," she says matter-of-factly.

We all quietly sit down as I read the papers over. I quickly sign them and place them back on her table.