20. Talking Sucks

t w e n t y

"WAIT, AMBER," SIMON CALLS, "TELL Jonah to... be careful."

"Why?" I ask, turning around as curiosity takes over.

He sighs before mysteriously saying, "Not everyone is like they seem. Even if they're sitting right in front of you." He turns around and walks away adding, "I hope everything works out for you, Amber."

"Thanks," I mutter, his words echoing in my brain as I walk into the building. I look up to see Kara briskly walking up to me, wrapping me in a tight hug.

"You okay? What happened?" she whispers in my ear. I perch my head on her shoulder, looking at Jonah and Lavender sitting right in front of each other. She was sitting right in front of him.

"We broke up," I whisper back.

"Honey," she coos, stroking my hair. My eyes are fixated on Jonah and Lavender. Lavender's eyes float up to look at mine. She looks at me with a kind of hatred. It's almost as if she's daring me. It's almost as if she's daring me to tell a secret.

"I'm fine. I knew it wouldn't work out, anyways," I reply quickly. "I'm going to go. Pack up." I extricate myself from her arms and walk away.

I press the button for the elevator and tap my foot impatiently. I needed some alone time. I need some time to think about all of this. What did Simon mean? Why did he want me to tell Jonah? Is it all my fault? Questions fogged my mind while potential answers were whisked away by uncertainty.

The elevator dinged open and I walked in, quickly pressing the button so no one else can come in. I was too slow.

Jonah walked in with great strides, sighing as the doors closed. He sunk back against the wall of the elevator, running his hands through his dark hair. I contemplated telling him what Simon said. He seemed troubled enough.

"Simon told me to tell you something," I spit out.

Looking up at me slowly, his hair messed up, Jonah asks, "What did he say?"

"He told me to tell you to be careful," I say, taking a step closer to him, "he said to tell you that not everyone is like they seem even if they're sitting right in front of you."

"And why would Simon give me this wonderful advice?" Jonah asks, getting up from leaning on the wall and taking a step towards me. "Why would your boyfriend want to give me advice?"

"Ex-boyfriend," I hiss, squinting at him. "Because he cheated on me. Maybe he wanted to tell you to be careful of that snake you call a 'girlfriend.' Who knows? She might've been the one he cheated on me with. A bad person can never become good." I look defiantly into his eyes.

"Just cause you have shitty taste in men doesn't mean you get to drag my girlfriend into it—" he starts before I cut in.

"Wow, you just insulted yourself," I reply venomously. "Although I guess that makes sense."

"I learned from my mistakes. I grew as a person. I didn't fall for a bitch again," he says maliciously.

I gasp lightly. "Fuck you. I wanted to tell you something and you decide to start insulting me. I wanted to be your friend and you pushed me away. I wanted to reconnect and you became a cold bastard. Just stay the hell away from me now."

"Good. That's what I wanted from the beginning," he replies. "What did you think that call was about?" He chuckles. "Did you think I was breaking up with Lavender? Sorry, hun. I was trying to figure out a way to minimize contact with you." He smirks triumphantly, thinking he won the argument.

"Thanks. Less work for me," I retort just as the elevator door opens. My legs move faster, so I can get away from the elevator and into the room. I can't do this again.

I shove the keycard in, yanking the door open. I close the door and gasp for air. Tears flow down my face in a powerful waterfall. Wrangled sobs escape my twisted mouth.

I had never been good at love. I got close to someone then I drove them away. My heart wasn't capable of loving any being. My life has been a story of failed romances. At one point, I had tried to swear off love. It didn't work out. You can't stop feelings. They have no rhyme or reason to them. I wish they had an off button. I could probably stop this monster clawing its way out of me.

But I can't do that.

Just blink away the tears and wash away the pain.

I slowly start to regulate my breathing, gasping at more normal intervals. Tears stop flowing and I start to wipe them away. I pull the stray hairs out of my face, walking over to the closet. I shove the clothes into my suitcases with a ferocity I've never felt before.

"Talking sucks," I mutter as I pull the suitcases out into the hall. "Just like feelings."

This was just a fight between Amber and Jonah

This was just a fight between Amber and Jonah. The call is finally explained. The only thing we haven't uncovered yet is why? Why would Jonah push Amber away? Why does he refuse to accept that Lavender may be lying to him? Answer in the comments.

Two updates in a day! I felt like I owed it to you guys cause I haven't updated in a while. I love you all! Have a fantastic day and summer! Thanks for reaching my hopeless romantics. Vote and comment! Follow me, too! I'm trying to get 1K before June 22 so I get 1K in 1 year.

Q. Above ^ in the first paragraph

QOTC: are you going to #NoFilterTour?
AOTC: sadly no :'(  I wish I could though. Momma Chickee is a kween