Getting Ready To Leave

Chapter 10

Once I had finally reached Alicia, I took her away from the kids for a moment before crouching down to see her.

"Hey. I'm guessing you've heard that I'm going into the city with Daryl and Rick," I said.

"Yeah I have," Alicia said.

"Listen, I don't want you to worry-" I said before Alicia interrupted me.

"I'm not worried. You'll come back. I know you will, because you're a survivor. You'll survive all of this. You have to," I said.

"When did you get so wise?" I asked.

"I always have been, just like you," Alicia answered.

"I love you, Alicia," I said.

"I love you too, mum," I said.

We then hugged for a while before I kissed her on the head and slowly began to stand up. I then turned around to Lori and said...

"Will you watch her?" I asked.

"Of course. I'll keep her safe," Lori said.

"Thank you," I said before walking over to Rick as he got out of the tent.

"You ready?" Rick asked.

"Yeah, you?" I asked.

"Yeah," Rick answered.

We then began to walk towards Daryl together before Shane said...

"So that's it huh? You just gonna walk off? To hell with everybody else?" Shane questioned.

"We're not saying 'to hell with anybody'. Not you, Shane and to Lori least of all," Rick answered as we continued to walk.

"Tell her that," Shane said.

"She knows," Rick said.

"Well look, I don't okay guys? So could you just- could you throw me a bone here?, could you at least tell me why. Why would both of you risk your lives for a douchebag like Merle Dixon?" Shane asked as we finally reached where Daryl was.

"Hey, choose your words more carefully," Daryl said.

"No I did. Douchebag is what I meant. Merle Dixon. That one wouldn't give you a glass of water if you were dying of thirst," Shane said.

"What he would or wouldn't do doesn't interest me. I can't let a man die of thirst. Me. Thirst and exposure. We left him like an animal caught in a trap, that's no way for anything to die, let alone a human being," Rick explained.

"And you, Skye? What is your big excuse for leaving your daughter, yet again? It has been barely twenty fours since you left her here so you could hunt. What's next huh? What will you leave her for next?" Shane asked, making my blood boil.

I then slapped Shane after he said this, shocking everyone massively.

"Listen to me, Shane and listen good. I am going with Daryl and Rick to rescue Merle, a human being trapped up on a roof. I'm not leaving Alicia anywhere. I would never leave my daughter. I just need you guys to keep an eye out on her till I return, okay? So don't you ever talk to me like that again. Got it?" I asked.

"Got it," Shane answered.

"Good," I said.

After some silence after I slapped Shane, Lori finally turned to Rick and said...

"So you, Skye and Daryl?, that's your big plan?" Lori asked.

Rick then turned around to Glenn before Glenn said...

"Oh come on," Glenn said.

"You know the way. You've been there before, in and out no problem, you said so yourself. It's not fair for me to ask, I know that but I'd feel a lot better with you along. I know she would too," Rick said, referring to Lori.

"That's just great, now you're going to risk four people," Shane said.

"Five," T-Dog said.

Daryl scoffed a little before saying...

"My day just gets better and better, don't it?" Daryl asked.

"You see anybody else here stepping up to save your brother's ass?" T-Dog asked.

"Why you?" Daryl asked.

"You wouldn't even begin to understand. You don't speak my language," T-Dog said.

"That's five," Dale said.

"It's not just five. You're putting every single one of us at risk, just know that, Rick. Hey come on, you saw that walker. It was here. It was in camp. They're moving out of the city, if they come back we need every able body we've got, we need them here, we need them to protect camp," Shane explained.

"It seems to me what you really need most here are more guns," Rick said.

"Right, guns," Glenn said.

"Wait, what guns?" Shane asked.

"Six shot guns, two high power rifles and over a dozen handguns. I cleaned out the cage back at the station before I left. I dropped the bag in Atlanta when I got swarmed. It's just sitting there on the street, waiting to be picked up," Rick explained.

"Ammo?" Shane asked.

"Seven hundred rounds, sorted," Rick answered.

"You went through hell to find us. You just got here and now you're just gonna turn around and leave?" Lori questioned.

"I-I don't want you to go," Carl said.

"To hell with the guns, Shane is right. Merle Dixon? He's not worse on of your lives with guns thrown in," Lori said.

Rick then began to walk over to Lori before Lori said...

"Tell me. Make me understand," Lori said.

"I owe a debt to a man I met and his little boy. Lori, if he hadn't taken me in, I would have died. It's because of them that I made it back to you at all. They said they'd follow me to Atlanta, they'll walk into the same trap I did if I don't warn them," Rick explained.

"What's stopping you?" Lori asked.

"A walkie talkie, the one in the bag I dropped. He's got the other one, our plan was to connect when they got closer," Rick answered.

"Is it our walkies?" Shane asked.

"Yeah," Rick answered.

"So use the CB, what's wrong with that?" Andrea asked.

"CBs fine, it's the walkies that suck. They're crap. They date back to the seventies, they don't match any other band with, not even the skinners in our cars," Shane said.

"I need that bag," Rick said to Lori.

Rick then walked over to Carl before crouching and saying...

"Okay?" Rick asked.

Carl nodded, answering Rick's question.

"Alright," Rick said.

After saying this, Glenn, Daryl and I began to get the van ready while Rick and T-Dog went to collect some tools from Dale. Once the car was ready, Daryl and I began to watch Rick collect the tools before Daryl honked the horn.

"Come on! Let's go!" Daryl yelled to Rick and T-Dog.

Once Daryl said this, Rick and T-Dog climbed into the van with the rest of us. Glenn and Rick were at the front while T-Dog, Daryl and I were in the back. Standing at the back, I took one look at Alicia before waving at her and smiling. She did the same before I closed the back of the van's door. Leaving the camp and entering the city...