Lock Down

Chapter 25

After entering the office room, we walked past all of the computers before finally reaching the end of the room where a big screen sat on the wall before Jenner said...

"Give me a playback of TS-19," Jenner said.

"Playback of TS-19," Vi repeated.

"Few people ever got a chance to see this. Very few," Jenner said.

After a few moments had past, a large blue tinted imagine appeared. It was an MRI of a human brain.

"Is that a brain?" Carl asked.

"An extraordinary one. Not that it matters in the end," Jenner said to us.

He then turned back to the screen before saying...

"Take us in for EVI," Jenner said.

"Enhanced internal view," Vi said.

We then watched as the screen began to show all these different lights of the brain before Shane said...

"What are those lights?" Shane asked.

"It's a person's life: experiences, memories. It's everything. Somewhere in all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light, is you. It's the thing that makes you unique and human," Jenner explained.

"You don't make sense, ever?" Daryl asked.

"Those are synapses. Electric impulses in the brain that carry all the messages. They determine everything a person says, does or thinks from the moment of birth... to the moment of death," Jenner said.

"Death? That's what this is, a vigil?" Rick asked, walking forward.

"Yes. Or rather the playback of the vigil," Jenner answered.

"This person died? Who?" Andrea asked.

"Test Subject Nineteen. Someone who was bitten and infected... and volunteered to have us record the process," Jenner said.

"Vi, scan forward to the first event," Jenner said.

"Scanning to first event," Vi said.

All of a sudden, the playback fast forwarded to the beginning event.

"What is that?" Glenn asked.

"It invades the brain like meningitis. The adrenal glands haemorrhage, the brain goes into shutdown then the major organs. Then death. Everything you ever were or ever will be... gone," Jenner said.

I began to focus on the brain, watching the person die before Alicia said...

"Is that what happened to Jim?" Alicia asked me.

"Yes," I answered.

I then looked over at Andrea and saw that she was struggling with the thought of death because of Amy. Jenner then saw the pain in Andrea's face before giving her a questioning look.

"She lost someone two days ago. Her sister," Lori said.

"I lost somebody too, I know how devastating it is," Jenner said as he approached Andrea.

Once he said this, he turned back around before saying...

"Scan to the second event," Jenner said.

"Scanning to second event," Vi said.

The playback then began to forward again while Jenner said...

"The resurrection times vary wildly. We have reports of it happening in as little as three minutes. The longest we heard of was eight hours. In the case of this patient, it was two hours, one minute... seven seconds," Jenner said.