Jim Left Behind

Chapter 20

Once we arrived back at camp, Shane told everyone to come by the fire so we could discuss our plan on what to do next.

"I've been thinking about Rick's plan, okay now look, there are no guarantees either way, I'll be the first one to admit that. I've known this man a long time, I trust his instincts. I say the most important thing here is we need to stay together. So, those of you that agree, we leave first thing in the morning. Okay?" Shane asked.

We all nodded before we all ate dinner and went to sleep. That night Daryl stayed with in my tent with Alicia after saying that we were okay to be together. I felt Daryl's arms wrap around my body once again before I drifted off to sleep.

The next morning, we all awoke and began packing. The whole camp was leaving and we had to do it quick as we had a long journey ahead. Once we were packed, we all began to load up the cars. Alicia, Daryl and I were in my car with Daryl's motorbike in the back, Rick, Lori, Carl, Carol and Sophia were going in a car, Morales and his family in another, T-Dog and Andrea in another, Shane in his car and the rest in the RV. After loading, Shane began to tell us what to do...

"Alright everybody, listen up. Those of you with CBs will be on channel forty but lets keep the chatter down, okay? Now you got a problem, don't have a CB, can't get a signal, anything at all, you're going to hit your horn one time. That will stop the caravan. Any questions?" Shane asked.

"We're uh- we're not going," Morales said.

We all went quiet hearing that.

"We have family in Birmingham. We wanna be with our people," Miranda said.

"If you're on your own, you won't have anyone to watch your back," Shane said.

"We'll take the chance. I got to do what's right for my family," Morales said.

"You sure?" Rick asked.

"We talked about it. We're sure," Morales said.

"Alright, Shane," Rick said.

"Yeah," Shane said before they began going through the bag full of weapons to give to Morales and his family.

Rick and Shane then gave Morales a gun and some ammo before Shane said...

"Box is have full," Shane said.

"Thank you all, for everything," Miranda said.

Miranda and Lori began to hug with Morales and Shane shook hands. I then took Alicia over to the kids and let her say her goodbyes and I did the same just like everyone else. Once we did this, we all began to get in our cars before driving off. Morales drove off first before the rest of us followed.

After a short time had past the RV broke down, causing us all to stop. Once we stopped, we all got out of our cars before walking over to see what was going on.

"I told you we'd never get far on that hose. We needed the one from before," Dale said.

"We can jury rig it," Rick said.

"That's all it's been so far. There's more duck tape then hose and I'm out of duck tape," Dale said.

"I see something up ahead. Gas station if we're lucky," Shane said.

All of a sudden, Jacqui appeared from the RV.

"Y'all, Jim. It's bad. I don't think he can take anymore," Jacqui said before getting back in the RV.

"Hey Rick, you wanna hold down the fort? I'll drive ahead and see what I can bring back," Shane said.

"Yeah, I'll come along too and I'll back you up," T-Dog said.

"Y'all keep your eyes open now, we'll be right back," Shane said.

As he said this, Rick went inside the RV to check on Jim. While he did this, we all waited outside to see what Jim had said. After a few moments had went by, Rick finally came back out of the RV as Shane and T-Dog arrived back. Once Rick came out, he began to tell us that Jim wanted to be left here.

"Is he sure?" I asked.

"That's what he said he wants," Rick said.

"Back in the camp, where I said that Daryl might be right and you all shut me down, you misunderstood. I would never go along with killing a man, but I was just going to suggest that we ask Jim what he wants. I think we have an answer," Dale said.

"We just leave him here?, we take off? Man, I'm not sure I can live with that," Shane said.

"It's not your call, neither one of you," Lori said.

After saying this, Rick and Shane carried Jim out of the RV and sat him in front of a tree. Once we did this, we all walked up and got ready to say goodbye.

"Hey, another damn tree," Jim said.

"Hey Jim, you know it doesn't have to be like this," Shane said.

"No, it's good. The breeze feels nice," Jim said.

"Okay, alright," Shane said.

We then all began saying goodbye. Saying all these different things to him as he meant many different things to us before we all began to walk over to the cars before getting in and driving off. Leaving Jim all alone...