The Nursing Home

Chapter 15

Once we got back to the building, Rick put down the bag of weapons and began to go through it, making sure it was ready for the gang.

"The guns are worth more than gold. Gold won't protect your family, put food on the table. You willing to give that up for that kid?" Daryl asked.

"If I knew we'd get Glenn back, I might agree. You think that Vatos gang is just going to hand him over?" T-Dog asked.

"Calling G a liar?" Miguel asked.

"You part of this?, you wanna hold on to your teeth?" Daryl asked as he slapped Miguel.

"Question is, do you trust that man's word?" T-Dog asked.

"No the question is, what are you willing to bet on it? Could be more than them guns, could be your life. Glenn worth that to you?" Daryl asked.

"The life I have I owe to him. I was nobody to Glenn just some, idiot stuck in a tank. He could've walked away but he didn't, neither will I," Rick said.

"You just going to hand those guns over?" Daryl questioned.

"I didn't say that. There's nothing keeping you guys here, you should get out, head back to camp," Rick said.

"And tell your family what?" T-Dog asked.

"I'm your partner, Rick. You really think I'm going to leave you now. Besides, Glenn is one of my good friends. I owe him everything," I said.

I then began to grab a few guns while Daryl and T-Dog did the same.

"C'mon this is nuts," Miguel said.

Daryl then stopped him from moving before we continued sorting our guns out. Once we were done, we headed back to the factory, ready to rescue Glenn.

Walking in, the doors opened and Daryl pushed Miguel in before we followed him in the factory. We each had a gun in our hands, ready to shoot anyone who didn't cooperate with us.

"I see my guns, but they're not all in the bag," Guillermo said.

"That's because they're not yours, I thought I mentioned that," Rick said.

"Lets just shoot these fools right now," Felipe said.

"I don't think you fully appreciate the gravity of the situation," Guillermo said.

"No I'm pretty clear," Rick said.

Rick then got his knife out, cut the rope from Miguel's wrists before saying...

"You have your man, I want mine," Rick said.

"I'm gonna chop up your boy, I'm gonna feed him to my dogs. Through the evilest, nastiest, man bitches you've ever saw. I picked them up for Satan at a yard sale. I told you how it has to be, are you deaf?" Guillermo asked.

"My hearings fine, you said come locked and loaded," Rick said.

We then all got our guns ready just as everyone else did in the room before Rick  said...

"Okay then, we're here," Rick said.

"Felipe! Felipe!" an old woman called from behind.

"Abuela, go back with the others," Felipe said as the old woman walked forward.

"Get that old lady out of the line of fire," Daryl said.

"Abuela, listen to him. This isn't the place for you now," Guillermo said.

The old lady began to speak in Spanish to her grandson before she said...

"Who are those people?" Abuela asked.

Felipe then tried to take her away but she kept on walking towards us.

"Don't you hurt him. Felipe is a good boy," Abuela said.

"Ma'am. I'm not here to arrest your grandson," Rick said.

"Then, what do you want him for?" Abuela asked.

"He's- helping us find a missing person. A fella named Glenn," Rick said as we lowered our weapons.

"The Asian boy? He's here. Come, come, I show you," Abuela said before taking Rick's hand beginning to lead us towards Glenn.

"Let them pass," Guillermo said to his men.

Guillermo's men then moved as Daryl, T-Dog and I followed Rick and Abuela. We continued to follow them to a nursing home with everyone else. Once we walked through, we saw a lot of older people sick in rooms until we finally reached the end of the hall where Glenn was. He and some older people were surrounding a man, who had trouble breathing before Felipe helped him.

"What the hell is this?" Rick asked.

"An asthma attack, couldn't get his breath out all of a sudden," Glenn said.

"We thought you were being eaten by dogs, man," T-Dog said.

Glenn then turned around and showed us three little dogs sitting in their bed.

"Can I have a word with you?" Rick asked.

"Guillermo nodded before Rick began to walk off with him and said...

"You're the dumbest son-of-a-bitch I've ever met," Rick said as they walked past with me.

While Rick spoke with him, I turned to Glenn and said...

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah I'm fine," Glenn answered.

"Good," I said.

"Skye, your face," Glenn said as he noticed my cuts.

"I'm okay. I'm okay, really. Nothing I can't handle," I said.

"Glad your okay," Glenn said before hugging me.

"Glad to see that you haven't been eaten by dogs," I said as we hugged.

We then began to laugh before letting go of each other.

Just then, Rick and the others called both of us over to them before we walked into a room with them and Guillermo.

"What about the rest of your crew?" Rick asked.

"The come in, check on their parents and grandparents. They see how things are and most of them tend to stay. It's a good thing too, we need the muscle. The people we've encountered, since things fell apart are the worst kind. Plunderers. The kind that take by force," Guillermo said.

"That's not who we are," Rick said.

"How was I to know?, my people got attacked and you show up with Miguel hostage. Appearances," Guillermo said.

"Guess the world changed," T-Dog said.

"No. It's the same as it ever was, that we get taken. So we do what we can here. We talk about getting the old people out of the city but most people can't even get to the bathroom by themselves so that's just a dream. Still it keeps the crew busy, and that's worth something. So we barred all the windows, loaded all the doors shut, except for one entrance. People go out, scavenge what they can, they keep us going. We watch the perimeter night and day, and we wait. The people here, they all look to me now. I don't even know why," Guillermo explained.

"Because they can," Rick said before handing him a few guns.

Once we had given quite a lot of ammo and guns, we finally left the nursing home and began to head home...