Birthday Surprise

Chapter 43

Some hours later had past before I grew hungry and began to make myself something to eat. As I began to do this, I suddenly saw Hershel walk in and began to make himself a drink before turning to me and saying...

"Hi honey," Hershel said.

"Hi," I said as I began cutting up some tomatoes.

"How's your wound?" Hershel asked.

"It's healing. Slowly, but it's healing," I answered.

"You should be taking it easy-" Hershel said.

"I know about the barn Hershel. I know that you have walkers in there and I know that the walkers in there were Annette and Shawn," I said.

"You make it sound like they are dead," Hershel said.

"They are... at least the human part is, and I'm sorry about that. I really am, but we need to get rid of the problem," I said.

"You mean kill my family?, I'm not doing that and I won't let you and your group do it either," Hershel said.

"I don't want to kill them, but they're not people anymore," I said.

"What if it was Caroline and she was sick like Annette and Shawn?, would you do what you're asking me to do?" Hershel asked.

"I would do what has to be done," I answered.

"But don't you see that nothing has to be done here. We have survived this long with the way things are and we can continue to do just that, but only if your friends cooperate," Hershel said.

I stood there quiet, not saying anything to him before he put down his drink and said...

"Look Skyler, I don't want to get in an argument with you. I don't. I love you Skyler, your my daughter," Hershel said.

"I love you too Hershel, but I can't help the way I feel," I said.

"I know you can't, but can you at least try and understand me?" Hershel asked.

"I'll try," I said.

"Thank you my girl," Hershel said.

I then continued to make myself food before Hershel said...

"Do you remember why I adopted you?" Hershel asked.

"Because you and mum were good friends?" I questioned.

"Not just that. That's a reason but it's not the main one. The main one is that your life was a lot like mine. It was hard and you suffered because of your dad just like me. I know your pain Skyler just like you know mine, and that's why I adopted you. Because despite everything you endured, you survived, and that makes you one of the strongest people that I have ever met," Hershel said.

"Thank you," I said with tears in my eyes.

"Come here my girl," Hershel said before he began hugging me.

As we hugged, I felt safety. Hershel was the closest thing I had to a father after closing my dad when I was eight.

"I love you Skyler, not matter what," Hershel said as he held me.

"I love you too," I said before letting go and finishing my food.

Once I was done this, I quickly ate my food before heading outside. As I headed outside, I noticed that the group was separate. Everyone had gone off on their own to deal with the shock of seeing the barn full of walkers before I spotted Jason and Alicia, causing me to instantly walk over.

"Mum!" Alicia exclaimed as she rushed into my arms.

I held her for a moment before putting her back down and walking off to Jason.

"Looks like somebody's feeling better," Jason said.

"Yeah, I am. How are you?" I asked.

"I'm doing fine," Jason answered.

"Happy birthday mum," Alicia said.

"Happy birthday sis," Jason said.

"You kept track?" I questioned.

"Of course we did. Now come and see your present," Jason said before walking me over to the stables with Alicia.

After reaching the stables, I began to look around me, trying to figure out what my present could have been but I just couldn't guess what it was.

"So, where is this present of mine?" I asked as Jason disappeared for a moment behind one of the horses.

"Right here," Jason said before rolling out a motorbike.

"Oh my god. Is this my old motorbike?" I questioned.

"Yes it is. Alicia and I have been working on it while you were recovering so it's all been fixed up. I found it after you left it behind and I brought it with me to hopefully give to you someday," Jason said.

"Thank you so much," I said before hugging them both.

This lasted for a long while before I began to look at my motorbike, remembering all those times when I used to ride along with it. I loved it so much and could not believe that I left without it.

"So, what are you waiting for? Take it for a spin," Jason said.

"Yeah, go on mum," Alicia said, motivating me to get on it.

"Okay, but it's been a while," I said.

"Nonsense, you'll be fine," Jason said.

"Okay, here I go," I said before getting on the bike and riding off.

As I rode off, I felt the rush of excitement fill my body like never before. The air surrounding me, blew my hair left and right but I didn't care. I loved the feeling of being free. I continued to ride along for a while before finally stopping at the house where Jason and Alicia were waiting for me.

"You have fun?" Jason asked.

"Lots, thank you. Both of you," I said.

"Well, we thought that after everything, you deserved to have your birthday," Jason said.

"Thank you. I love you both so much," I said.

"We love you too mum," Alicia said.

We then all hugged and continued to have fun, enjoying my birthday as a family...