A Good Time

Chapter 23

After we got in the elevator, everyone was quiet. We didn't say anything because we didn't know what to say. We were either so shocked that we found someone here or we were just processing everything that just happened. It didn't matter which one we was the correct answer, because either way we were silent. Well, that is right until Daryl said...

"Doctors always go around packing heat like that?" Daryl asked.

"Well there were plenty left lying around. I familiarized myself. You look harmless enough," Jenner said.

He then looked down at Carl before saying...

"Except you. I'll have to keep my eye on you," Jenner teased.

Soon after this the elevator dinged and we arrived at an unknown floor. We then began following Jenner down the hallway before Carol said...

"Are we underground?" Carol asked.

"You claustrophobic?" Jenner questioned.

"A little," Carol answered.

"Try not to think about it," Jenner said.

We then continued to walk before entering a large office-like room at the end of the hallway.

"Vi, bring up the lights in the big room," Jenner said.

The room then lit up.

"Welcome to Zone Five," Jenner welcomed.

"Where is everybody? The other doctors?, the staff?" Rick asked as we walked in the room.

"I'm it. It's just me here," Jenner stated.

"What about the person you were speaking with? Vi?" Lori asked.

"Vi, say hello to our guests. Tell them... welcome," Jenner said.

"Hello guests. Welcome," a monotone voice said.

"I'm all that's left. I'm sorry," Jenner said.

After saying this, we all headed in another room to take our blood and after just a few moments, Andrea was the only one left to have her blood tested.

"What's the point?, if we were infected, we'd all be running a fever," Andrea said.

"I've already broken every rule in the book letting you in here, let me just at least be thorough," Jenner said.

Jenner then began finishing up with Andrea before saying...

"All done," Andrea said.

Andrea then began to get up but began to struggle as soon as she did while having Jacqui at her side.

"You okay?" Jenner asked.

Andrea nodded before Jacqui said...

"She hasn't eaten in days. None of us have," Jacqui said.

As Jacqui said this, we all began to remember how hungry we all were. Our stomachs began to growl just like walkers as we knew just like they did, that we needed food. We were all weak because we hadn't eaten in days and Andrea was proof of that. Once we all sat back down, Jenner told us that we could all enjoy the night with some food and alcohol, causing even the weakest of us to get up after hearing two of the greatest joys in life. Food and alcohol. We then all headed into the kitchen, where we all began eating and drinking to our hearts content...

"You know in Italy, children have a little bit of wine with dinner," Dale said as he poured Lori a glass of wine.

Once he did this, he passed her the glass before saying...

"And in France," Dale said.

"Well when Carl is in Italy or France, he can have some then," Lori said.

"What's it gonna hurt?, come on. Come on," Rick said.

Lori then looked at him for a moment before letting Carl have some wine. We all watched as he took the glass from Dale before taking a sip. After barely a second had past, Carl had a face on him before saying...

"Eww," Carl said, making us all laugh.

As we laughed, Lori poured the rest of the wine in her glass before Carl said...

"That's nasty," Carl said.

"Well, just stick to soda pop there, bud," Shane said.

"Not you Glenn," Daryl said.

Glenn then looked up and said...

"What?" Glenn questioned.

"Keep drinking, little man. I want to see how red your face can get," Daryl said before sitting beside me.

After some more moments of laughing, Daryl turned to Alicia and said...

"You want a drink Ali?" Daryl asked.

"If Carl doesn't like it, I probably won't," Alicia answered.

"You sure?, it's really good," Daryl said before drinking some more.

"Can I mum?" Alicia asked.

"I suppose one sip wouldn't hurt," I said.

"I like the way she thinks," Daryl said, referring to me before getting some wine and pouring some in her glass.

Alicia picked the glass up before taking a sip and we all watched eagerly to see her reaction before Alicia began to smile and said...

"Mmm. I like it," Alicia said before taking another sip.

"That's my girl," Daryl said smiling before taking another sip of alcohol.

I then began to watch as Alicia finished the glass before I then took it from her and said...

"And that's enough for you," I said.

We all began to laugh as Alicia tried to grab the wine bottle before Rick broke up the laughter by clinking his glass and saying...

"Seems to me, we haven't thanked our host properly," Rick said.

"He is more than just our host," T-Dog said.

"Cheers," Dale said.

"Booyah!" Daryl yelled, causing us to all copy.

We then began drinking before Shane said...

"So when are you gonna tell us what the hell happened here, doc?" Shane asked.

This killed the mood instantly.

"All the other doctors that were supposed to be figuring out what happened, where are they?" Shane asked.

"We're celebrating Shane. We don't need to do this right now," Rick said.

"Whoa, wait a second. This is why we're here, right? This was you're move. To supposedly find all the answers, instead we uh- we found him. Found one man. Why?" Shane asked.

"Well when things got bad, a lot of people just left. Went off to be with their families, and when things got worse, when the military cordon got overrun, the rest bolted," Jenner said.

"Every last one?" I asked.

"No. Many couldn't face walking out the door. They... opted out. There was a rash of suicides. That was a bad time," Jenner said.

"You didn't leave. Why?" Andrea asked.

"I just kept working. Hoping to do some good," Jenner answered.

"Dude, you are such a buzz-kill, man," Glenn said.

After saying this, we all finished up in the kitchen before we walked out and Jenner lead us down another hallway...