prologue

Tears streamed down Jungkooks face as he curled his body up as small as he could in the tiny little cupboard under the sink in the cabin. The door was cracked open just slightly, but he couldn't risk reaching out to pull it over, in case he was spotted. The air was thick with the scent of metal, and he could hear nothing but the beating of his own heart and the sounds of something being dragged across the wooden floor.

As something blocked the dim light that was streaming in through the minuscule gap in the door, Jungkook barely managed to hold back a whimper, stuffing his fist into his mouth and biting down hard with his teeth in effort to control the sounds that his own body was emitting.

The figure blocking the light moved suddenly, and there was more sounds of dragging. Suddenly, there was silence, and then a blood curdling scream.

Jungkook sprung out of the cupboard, scrabbling to his feet. He had forgotten that his sister was in bed!

He sprinted down the hallway, grabbing the poker from the fireplace without slowing his speed at all. He leaped over the bodies of his parents, not even stopping to mourn; his only thought was to save his younger sister. 

Jungkook skidded around the corner that led to the room that hew and his sister were sharing in this holiday home, and dashed forward, throwing the door open.

He could see the terrified eyes of his sister, who was standing on her bed, squashed into the corner as the unnaturally tall, thin creature reached for her with deliberately slow, clawed hands.

"Hey!" He screamed, rushing forward and swinging the poker. He struck the creature on it's side and it turned its white head slowly to look at him with dead, hollowed out eyes hidden in the socket of it's skull.

"Kookie!" He heard his sister scream as the creature swung at him, and then there was only darkness.

When he woke up, the only signs of his family ever having been there, were the bloodstains on the walls and floors. And the only clue as to what that creature was, were the deep, seeping claw marks across Jungkooks chest.

---

AN: I know, another new one.

This one was inspired by a piece of fan art from FuturisticLeopard , which I'll reveal later!