thirteen

Kim was breathing heavily by the time they came towards the base of the mountain. Jungkook had set a fast pace, and although Kim kept up and made no complaints, it was obvious she was starting to struggle. Jungkook could see the sweat beading at her forehead, and when they finally stopped, she collapsed onto a fallen tree, letting out a soft moan of relief as her sore feet were finally relieved of her weight.

"You did good," He told her, for some reason feeling the need to encourage her. She had been so brave, he felt as if she should at least know that, "Much better than my first time,"

Kim grunted, and it looked like she was trying to force herself to smile, but it didn't seem to work.

"Are we close?" She asked, pulling a bottle of water out of her backpack and drinking a huge gulp.

Jungkook nodded and peered around at the trees. He had never been able to come into the forest this deep before, and it was darker here. There was no sounds of birds singing, or even crickets chirping and the whole are felt wrong.

The trees were mostly dead, or if they weren't, they stretched high above the other trees, with long branches that spread out full of leaves to block the suns rays.

"There," He muttered, stepping towards a dead tree and running his fingers along the flaking bark. Carved deep into the trunk was a huge gash made by a set of claws. It was very similar to the scar on Jungkooks chest, and he touched the indents gently.

"It's marking its territory," He said, "If we follow these marks, I'm sure it'll lead us to the right place,"

Kim took a deep breath and stood up, "Okay. Let's go then,"

---

Yoongi had been slowly trying to free himself from the tight ropes around his wrists for what felt like absolute years. So far they had done nothing but rub his wrists red raw, but he wasn't going to give up. He wasn't going to let his girlfriend and his cousin die in this god forsaken cavern at the hands of a monster.

Jimin was sleeping next to him, and Yoongi was pretty sure that if he didn't get medical help soon, he wasn't going to make it; there was a steady drip drop of blood pooling at his feet, and he couldn't keep his eyes open. Daisy was also quiet, but Yoongi knew she wasn't asleep.

She was busy watching the foul demon that was sat in the corner. In the dim light, Yoongi could see that the monster was emaciated to the point where it shouldn't even be walking; through the patchy, dirty, brown fur its ribcage and spine were clearly visible. It had long, thin fingers ending in equally long, curving talons like a bird of prey, and long antlers curving out of it's dear shaped head.

The head was nothing more than a bleached white, elongated skull, but what made Yoongi the most terrified, were the demons eyes. Set back in the eye sockets, so deep that you would almost think that it didn't even have eyes, they were red, and dull. They looked as if they were the eyes from something that had been dead for a long time, and they just stared, unblinking.

It sat there watching its three prisoners, before finally getting to its feet and lumbering slowly out of the cavern. Yoongi saw it walk down some kind of corridor, before it took a left turn and was gone from view.

"Yoongi," Daisys voice came out as a barely audible whimper, "I love you,"

Yoongi turned to look at his girlfriend, his eyes wide, "I love you, too, Daisy," He said, "But don't sound so final. We're going to get out of here. I'll get you out, I won't let that thing kill you!"

Daisy sniffed a little and looked down at her feet, "I don't think we can, Yoongi," She whispered, "I just wanted you to know... And if it kills me before you, please don't watch. I want you to remember happy times with me, not the scene of my death,"

"Stop it!" Yoongi hissed, "Don't think like that! We have to get out! I'm going to get you both out!"

"Hate to agree with a pessimist," Jimin croaked from the other side of Yoongi, making him turn to face his cousin, "But I don't think we're getting out, Yoongz. I appreciate your trying, though,"

"Enough," Yoongi was growing angry, but there were tears in his eyes, "You need to believe, don't give up,"

Jimin choked out a laugh, "The demon is going to kill be first and to be honest, I think I'd be grateful for the pain to stop. I just pray that Kim escaped,"

"Stop it!" Yoongi was gritting his teeth in both pain and anger. He would not give up, no matter what.

"Face it, Yoongz," He said softly, "Even if we can get untied, I can't walk. I can't even keep myself conscious," He took an agonizing deep breath, "I'm already dead,"