seventeen

Kim jumped, latching her arms onto Jungkooks strong bicep when she heard the scream of the Demon.

Jungkook spun, pushing her behind him and almost squashing her into the damp wall behind them. He readied his rifle, but stayed still, ready for the creature when it inevitably came towards them.

However, a moment after the scream of rage, he heard quick footsteps leading out of the cave system and towards the forest. And then he heard something different; a sort of shuffling, painfully slow and coupled with the harsh breathing of someone in agony.

He narrowed his eyes in the dim light that was coming from a few flickering bulbs along the wall, and heard Kim gasp when he saws the figures of three people heading towards them.

"Jimin!" Kim pushed free of Jungkook and rushed to the trio, tears in her eyes. Her brother was hanging off Daisy and Yoongi, barely able to stand, and when he saw her, he groaned.

"No, Kim," His voice was just about audible, "Why are you here? You need to run!"

"There's no way I could leave you," She sobbed, "What happened to you?"

"Now isn't the time for a reunion," Jungkook hissed, quickly moving to them. He took Jimins arm from Daisy, wrapping it around his own shoulder, "Bring him this way so I can fix him up quickly, then we need to get out!"

Yoongi helped Jungkook take Jimin further into the cave and they lowered him to the floor. Jimin had his teeth clenched together through the pain, but didn't make a sound.

Jungkook pulled the remains of his shirt from him and inspected the wounds, "It's not as bad as it looks," He muttered reassuringly to the others, he's going to need stitches, and he's going to have some impressive scars, but he'll be okay, as long as we can get him to a hospital before it gets infected or he bleeds out. I can stop the bleeding for now,"

Jungkook pulled a box from his backpack and pressed some folded up bandages against the deepest parts of the claw marks, ignoring the hiss of pain from Jimin. Yoongi helped sit him up, and Jungkook wrapped the rest of the bandages around him tightly, stemming the blood. Once he was done, he pulled his backpack back over his shoulders and helped him up.

"We need to go," He said, "We need to get to my truck so we can leave before it can get us, but we have to get through the forest first,"

Jimin was swaying a little, but he was at least awake, "I can do it," He muttered, "Positive mental attitude," 

He staggered to the side a little as they started to walk, and Yoongi caught him.

"Bee is going to kill you, Jimin," He said, "She told us not to come up here and now you're nearly dead. I don't know if I can handle the I told you so's she's going to be throwing at us," 

"Yeah," Jimin agreed, "But I'll have battle scars. Chicks love battle scars,"

"Is this really the time for joking?!" Daisy exclaimed.

"It's a coping mechanism, shut up," Jimin sighed.

"Bee?!" Jungkook stopped dead in his tracks, turning around. His eyes were wide and Jimin nodded weakly.

"My girlfriend,"

Jungkook was still for a moment, before he shook his head and began to lead the way through the tunnels. It was just a coincidence. Bee was an uncommon name, but there was no way it was her. His sister had died years ago, and Jungkooks uncle had found parts of her body.

He could hear Jimin shuffling awkwardly behind him, held on his feet by Yoongi, when he felt a soft touch at his elbow.

"Are you alright?" Kim whispered, "You were acting weird just now,"

"Now isn't the time for chat," Jungkook muttered, "We need to get out of here first,"

Kim paused, and then nodded. Jungkook was right. Their priority right now as to get Jimin to safety.

However, Jungkook froze again, slowly turning his head to the side to listen.

"Everyone against the walls!" He hissed, "Quickly! And nobody move a muscle!"

Scrambling to do as they were told, each person squashed themselves into the wall. Jungkook pushed Kim and hovered over her, keeping her hidden behind his body, and Yoongi did the same to Daisy and Jimin, half holding him on his feet, and half protecting them both.

A few moments later, the dull sounds of footsteps echoed through the damp cavern. Jungkook could see the Demon slowly coming down towards them, it's bleached skull head raised as if it were scenting the air.

It's movements were so slow that Jungkook felt as if they were standing there for hours, before it slowly walked past them, shuffling on long, thin legs.

"It knows we're here," He whispered under his breath at Kim, who looked up at him with wide eyes.

"How do we get out?" She whispered back, turning her head to look at her family. Apart from Jimin, who was still gritting his teeth through his pain, they all had terrified looks on their faces.

Jungkook stepped back from Kim a little, and grabbed her shoulders  in his hands, "You know the way out, don't you?" He whispered, and she frowned, "Straight back down there and left into the main corridor. Then keep going straight out into the forest. Get over the fence and into the truck as fast as you can. I'll meet you there,"

"Wait, what the fuck?" Yoongi whispered from beside him, slowly moving back from his girlfriend and cousin, "You're leaving us here?!"

"I'm going to make a distraction so you can get out," Jungkook said, "It's the only way,"

"No, bro, we get out of here all together, "Yoongi said, "You're being careless!"

Jungkook narrowed his eyes, "This guy," He said, gesturing to Jimin, "Can barely walk. You won't be able to outrun the Demon unless I do something,"

"Haven't you seen a horror film?!" Jimin snapped, "Dude, we split up, we die,"

"You told me earlier not to split up, Jungkook," Kim argued, "You can't leave us, we don't-"

"It's the only way," He said firmly. He patted Kims hip, "You have the gun, and the flare. Just move quietly and quickly,"

"No, Jungkook-"

"Now, go!"

Jungkook pulled away from the group, unshouldering his rifle and heading in the direction the Demon went.

"Shit!" Yoongi cursed, "We have to go after him-"

"No," Kims eyes were brimming with tears; she was scared, and she didn't want Jungkook to get hurt. He had done so much for them in such a short amount of time, and even though he didn't know them, he was sacrificing himself to get them out, "He knows what he's doing. We do as he says,"

She was firm, even if she didn't want to leave him. But she knew out of all of them, Jungkook had the highest chance of survival, while theres were dropping continuously. If they didn't move now, they might not even have a chance of escaping.

"Let's go," She said, stepping to the front of the group, holding her torch tightly in her trembling hands, "It's this way,"