nine

It was eerily quiet in the forest with Jungkook, apart from the sounds of Kims feet crunching on the various twigs and dead leaves on the ground. Jungkook was barely making a sound as he walked, even over the leaf litter, and it was obvious that he was completely at home within the trees; whereas Kim felt like a bumbling elephant next to him.

"There aren't any signs of it being active, "Jungkook said quietly, "By now it usually would have shown itself," He paused, "But it was up hunting all night, and it's behaviour has been erratic, so..." He trailed off and continued in silence.

After a few moments, Kim sped up so she was walking next to him instead of behind, "It's very quiet here," She  said softly. The silence of the forest was unnerving; there were no sounds of crickets, or birds singing, and there was barely a breeze through the leaves.

Jungkook nodded, "There are animals here," He said, "But they don't make very much noise. It's like they know that it's dangerous to draw attention to yourself,"

Kim pressed her lips together before speaking, "Should I stop talking?"

Jungkook turned and smiled at her a little, "It's fine. Like I said, there's no signs of it being active, and we're still quite far from it's lair,"

According to Kims phone, it was already past noon, and they still hadn't reached the area where Jungkook thought that the Demon lived.

"We will make it there before it gets dark, won't we?" She said quietly. The thought of spending time in this forest after dark terrified her.

Jungkook didn't reply. He just shifted his grip on his rifle and continued to head into the deeper parts of the forest. Kim followed, suddenly a lot more nervous than before; if that was possible.

---

"Hey! Leave her alone!" Both Yoongi and Jimin started yelling as the Demon stepped towards Daisy and reached out, dragging its clawed fingers gently down her front, as if it was inspecting her. It ignored the two men and leaned in close to her face, and she whimpered as its teeth brushed her cheek.

She squeezed her eyes shut and didn't move, hoping that if she stayed still, it would leave her alone. She could feel its putrid breath on her face; the smell of warm, rotted meat making her want to vomit. By sheer willpower, Daisy kept her stomach in check, and after a moment of huffing around her body, the Demon slowly pulled away. 

It thudded down the line of them towards Jimin, where it dug its claws from one hand into his chest and dragged it slowly down a few inches. Jimin kept his scream behind his teeth, but even Daisy could hear his moan of pain, and the accompanying sounds of his flesh tearing made her stomach flip again.

Jimin, unable to take any more, kicked out, swinging his leg and slamming his foot into the emaciated creatures stomach. It growled in reply, before slicing its claws across Jimins chest, making him yell in pain. Seemingly satisfied at Jimins pain, the Demon moved back along the line to the body hanging next to Daisy.

When it reached out, ripping a handful of rotting flesh from the corpse, before stuffing it into its oversized jaw and leaving, Daisy finally lost control of her stomach.

---

It was starting to get late, and Jungkook was a little worried. If it was just him, he would have made it to the mountain area already by now, but Kim wasn't used to the environment, and was much slower.

"We're going to have to camp," He muttered, turning to face Kim, "There are two ways we can do this. We can climb a tree and hope that it doesn't spot us, which it will," He paused, "Or we can make a fire so it knows we are here but won't come close. Which one would you prefer?"

Kims eyes widened, and Jungkook felt sorry for her. The pure terror of what had happened to her the previous night was finally catching up on her, and although she was trying to be strong, Jungkook could see that she was starting to become rather down.

"I don't know," She said, "You're the expert, Jungkook, you tell me,"

Jungkook nodded, "The safest way is to go to the stream. There's a clearing there. We set up a semi circle of a fire with the water at our backs. We'll be safer that way,"

"It won't go in the water?" Kim asked, her voice trembling as Jungkook began to lead her away.

Jungkook didn't want to lie to her, "It might," He said quietly, "But it won't come close to the fire. As long as we have enough firewood to keep it burning, which we will, we will be as safe as we can be, out here,"

"Which isn't very safe," Kim muttered. She sighed and nodded, and they quickly made their way to the stream Jungkook was talking about.

Kim gathered as much wood as she could possibly find and dumped it in a huge pile by the stream. It was much deeper and wider than she thought it would be, so she did feel a little better. Jungkook lit the fire as it began to get dark, and the flames spread easily around them. The flames weren't too high, so if there was an emergency, they would be able to jump clear. 

Jungkook also explained that it meant that the fire was easier to control this way. 

Kim sat huddled in on herself as Jungkook waded into the stream with his hunting knife, and came back with a large fish, which he promptly readied and cooked over the fire. Despite her fear, Kim had to appreciate that the fish tasted good, and just as she finished eating, she heard the loud howl of a wolf, fairly close by.

Jungkook crouched down next to her, his rifle in his hand.

"That wasn't a wolf," He said softly as the howl sounded again, closer this time, "Just try to stay as still as possible, and it won't even see you,"

Kim reached out, gripping Jungkooks shirt tightly in her hand when she heard the sound of her brothers voice.

"Leave her alone!" The voice then changed to a scream of agony, and Kim squeezed her eyes shut.

"It's alright," She felt a large hand gently envelop hers, and opened her eyes to see Jungkook holding her hand.

"I'll protect you, just try not to listen to it,"

"Kookie! Help me! Jungkook!"

Jungkooks jaw tightened, but he kept his hand gently on Kims, "Don't listen to it,"

---

AN: Oh ho, I edited this one, but not very carefully. Go me

Don't forget to check out my new Kim Seokjin fic "A helping hand"