twenty

Jungkook grunted and gasped for air as he struggled to sit up. There was a loud bang and a bright light, followed by a scream of anger from the demon, but he had no time to process what had happened while he was being strangled to death.

He had heard Kim's voice, but he wasn't sure if it was the creature or the real thing, and for once, he hoped it was the demon. If it was Kim, it meant that she was stuck in the tunnels with an angry monster.

"Jungkook!"

"Shit," He croaked, even his voice was hurting his throat, "You're here, you're real,"

"We have to go, come on, I think I only stunned it, I don't even know if I hit it!"

Kim helped Jungkook to his feet and dragged him the direction she had just come from, not giving him a chance to catch his breath. He felt dizzy from the sudden burst of oxygen flowing around his body, but his legs were feeling tingly and weak as he stumbled along the uneven ground, his arm around Kim's shoulder for balance.

Kim jumped when a scream of pure, unbridled fury sounded behind them, but Jungkook tightened his grip around her shoulders, "Don't stop," He muttered, "We need to move so we can see it coming,"

However, just as they got to the mouth of the tunnel systems, Jungkook felt himself being lifted into the air.

He screamed in shock as he was thrown back, deeper into the tunnel, but by the time he had scrambled to his feet, Kim was in the hands of the demon.

It had her by her throat and was slowly lifting her towards its elongated, bleached skull. Its body was so thick with the stench of death and decay, mixed with damp and mould, that Kim could feel her stomach churning just by being close to it.

However, it opened it's mouth, clacking its jaw together right in front of her face, and the sight of the teeth further back in its jaw, covered with blackened, rotting meat made her open her mouth to scream.

All she could manage was a panicked gurgle as it tightened its grip around her throat. Her feet weren't even on the floor anymore, and she could hear the blood rushing around in her ears as her peripheral vision went dark.

Just before everything went black, she saw movement, and with her last ounce of strength, she tossed the flare gun to where Jungkook was making his way towards them.

It clattered along the floor and he stooped to pick it up, not stopping on his march towards the demon. Pulling a flare from his back pocket, he loaded it into the barrel and lifted his arm.

"Hey, you goddamn son of a bitch!" He yelled, holding the gun with both hands.

The demon looked at him and dropped Kim on the floor, a low, triumphant growl reverberating out of it's patchy, fur covered throat.

"Come and get me!" He yelled as loudly as he could. The floor under his feet was vibrating with the steps of the demon as it angrily moved closer and closer towards him.

"I've had enough of you!" Jungkook screamed, his flickering to Kim as she struggled to sit herself up. He needed to keep the demon's attention to give her a chance to escape, but he needed to be ready to attack before he lost his chance.

He suddenly remembered Kim before, mentioning something to him in passing.

"There's a crack in its skull,"

He lifted the muzzle of the flare gun and grit his teeth, "This is for all the people you've hurt," He growled, his hands steady despite the demon coming towards him, "This is for my uncle, and my Mum and Dad!" He said a little louder, "This is for Bee!"

The demon opened its mouth, leaning forward as the distorted scream of Jungkooks little sister exploded from its throat. Jungkook took the opening.

He pulled the trigger.

Time seemed to slow down as he staggered back, arm over his eyes to protect them from the sudden burst of bright red light shooting from the barrel of the gun.

The scream changed from fury to panic and Jungkook lowered his arm, his eyes wide at the site in front of him.

The demon was clawing at its mouth, staggering around and crashing into the rock walls and the wooden support pillars in the effort of putting out the fire that had started to burn. The cries of panic turned to squeals of pain and fear as its body began to convulse, and Jungkook had the sudden realisation that if he stayed where he was, he would never be able to leave the tunnels.

He sprinted past the demon, ducking under its flailing, panicked arms towards the exit. He stopped long enough to scoop Kim up in his arms, as she was still struggling to stand, and as fast as his legs could carry them, ran to the mouth of the cave.

As they reached a few meters from the end, there was a loud shriek and a pop from behind them, and when Jungkook turned, he could see nothing but the smoking remains of the demon in a pile on the floor. However, one of the wooden support beams by the pile had caught alight, and there was a sudden deep rumbling from above them.

"It's going to collapse!" Kim yelled, "Jungkook, run!"

"Shit!" He cried, closing the distance, Kim bouncing in his arms. But he knew he wasn't going to make it. There wasn't enough time.

Without thinking, he thrust his arms out, throwing Kim through the open mouth of the tunnel, and then there was only pain and darkness.