Chapter 22

AN: I felt so happy to do another chapter! x 

LOUIS POV 

I ran and ran until I reached the strip of the Savannah river. I halted, and I dropped to the ground kneeling. I looked back and realized that I ran at least 5 kilometers. But I wanted to run more, I want to experience more pain so I could forget the fact that Effy has leukemia. 

Just the thought of losing her makes me want to jump of this river. 

"WHY HER?" I shouted in the open air. "OF ALL THE PEOPLE WHY HER?!" I shouted even louder. I was breathing heavily and sweat was dripping off my face. I can see some people staring but who cares. 

Next thing I knew I was crying. I sat down on the ground put my knees up and cried. I can't believe it. I can't believe that this has happened to me again. Wait, how selfish of me.

I can't believe this happened again to the one that I love. 

Just then I heard foot steps trotting along the pavement. And then a hand was placed on my shoulder. I looked up and saw my boys. I gathered up my strength to stand up. 

And one by one they hugged me. 

For the first time, it was total silence between the boys and I. But we knew that in that moment, we understood what each other wanted to say. 

When it was Harry hugging me he said, " Stay strong lad, for her."

Again, the tears are starting to roll.  I hugged him tighter and replied, "Why couldn't it be me?" 

Harry retracted from our hug and gave me a disappointing look. "No bro. Don't be like that." 

Liam also patted my shoulder. "Yeah, don't wish it on yourself. Wish that it never happened to anyone." 

Then Zayn interjected. "What do you think Effy would feel if you had leukemia even if she doesn't?"

"Alive." I muttered. 

Niall then shook his head. "No lad, she'd probably be the one running all the way here." 

I chuckled just the thought of Effy running. "Yeah, but she'd probably stumble five times before reaching this place." 

The others also chuckled lightly and started to smile a little. 

"She'll get better. And you know her mom, she'd do anything for her Effy." Zayn said and smiled.

'I'll do anything for her. You know that, lads?" I asked them.

They all nodded. 

"She wanted to run after you earlier. But you know, she's tied up to all these tubes and stuff." Harry said.

She did? That girl was something else. She found out that she had leukemia and she still worries about me first? I love her. 

"Her mom just texted me. She said they made their way home. They'll just come back for lab tests on the following days." Liam said while looking at his phone. 

"I think what she wants right now is for you to be with her every second of every day, Lou." Niall started to say. He continued, "You know what's funny? I think that's what she's always wanted even when she didn't have leukemia." 

How can this boys make me blush. 

"Let's go home guys." I said trying to fix myself. 

They all grinned. 

And we all did one big massive one direction group hug. 

"I love you boys." 

-------

EFFY'S POV

The trip on the way home from the hospital was quiet. Except for mom's sobs. When I entered the house, I felt a cold chill. Like a supernatural presence was there. Dad? Or maybe Hazel? 

Mom closed the door and breathed heavily. She then faced me with watery eyes. 

I then ran up to her and hugged her tight. "Mom, don't cry please. You're making me loose hope." I chuckled a bit at the end.

"I..couldn't lo -- loose another one Effy." She said with sobs in between.

"Mom.." I started to say. She needs to stop crying. I hate it. I hate that I'm the cause. 

I cupped my mom's face so that she would look directly to me. "Mom, I'll fight until the very end. For you mom, and for everyone that I love. That, I promise." 

She nodded and pulled me in another hug. "So please, all I ask is for you to be as strong as me." 

"Yes honey, I will." She said while stroking my hair. 

"I love you mom." I said trying to fight back my tears. 

Her hug was so tight, it could have suffocated me. "I love you so much Effy." 

After our moment over there, she had to go and pick up Emma in school. Great, I'll make another person cry. Tomorrow is another busy day because I am going back to the doctors for my treatment. He still had no deadline on when .. on when I'll die. He is hoping that I'd be cured.

Damn, me too doc. 

I reached my bed and flopped down on it. I felt really tired. I smelled my sheets. It smelled like Louis. Louis. Where is he? My heart stinged so badly. I needed him right now. 

Next thing I knew I zoned out. 

----

I woke up with the feeling that someone's arm is draped around my waist. My back was against something hard, so I turned the other side.

I was faced to face with the love of my existence. 

"Hello." I said to him and gave him a light smile. 

But I frowned noticing that he had puffy eyes and he looked really tired. 

He removed a piece of strand that was covering my face. "Hello, beautiful."

I couldn't take it anymore. I grabbed his face and kissed him. He kissed back with so much passion. 

"I can't believe it's going to happen to you again." I whispered. 

He chuckled. But his eyes were so sad. "Me too." 

And then he said the words that made my entire existence worth it.

"I love you."

I looked at him straight in the eyes. "You're just saying that because I have this disease.."

He then cupped my face and looked straight in my eyes. "No, I'm saying this because I do. I do love you." 

I leaned my face towards him and kissed him lightly. "I love you too." 

Our bodies melted into each other. The room was dark, but it was illuminated by the firefly christmas lights. 

"Promise me one thing." He whispered in my ear.

"Anything." I responded.

"We'll fucking fight this cancer, okay?" He said laughing a bit. 

I chuckled. "I promise, carrot boy."